airtraffic

Author Topic: N4871N - KBWG to KLEX - March 25, 2009 - CESSNA 182Q  (Read 10832 times)

kea001

N4871N - KBWG to KLEX - March 25, 2009 - CESSNA 182Q
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »
NTSB Identification: ERA09FA215
General Aviation
Accident occurred Wednesday, March 25, 2009 in Lexington, KY
Aircraft: CESSNA 182Q, registration: N4871N
Injuries: 1 Fatal.

Shortly after takeoff from BWG, the pilot*, contacted the Indiana Air Route Traffic Control Center (ARTCC). The ARTCC controller reported having difficulty communicating with the pilot because of poor radio reception. At 2126, the pilot told the ARTCC controller that he had a low voltage indication and that his "battery was draining down." The controller asked the pilot about the condition of his engine, and the pilot responded that his "engine was fine, but that his battery was draining" and that he may "lose radio communication." He said that if he lost communications or the instruments, he had an externally powered GPS, and back up communication transmitter. At 2147, the ARTCC controller identified the airplane at 37 nautical miles southwest of LEX, at 2,900 feet. The ARTCC controller stated that the pilot's altitude and course heading was fluctuating, although he continued to give him headings and altitude corrections.

NOTE: As the Indianapolis ARTCC feed was down, the audio consists of the KLEX feed, March 26, 2009 0130z-0200z
edited to remove spaces.

*The pilot was a leader in the development of the surgical technique laparoscopic appendectomy. He was the first American physician to present as well as the first to publish about this surgery. Incidently, he was also dyslexic.

Audio time is 15 minutes, 18 seconds.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:04:57 PM by kea001 »

Offline englishpilot

Re: N4871N - KBWG to KLEX - March 25, 2009 - CESSNA 182Q
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I'm an expat in Lexington so KLEX is my local field.  This particular controller (as are the others at KLEX) is ALWAYS extremely helpful and always does a fantastic job.  Must be awful to lose a target when you're on duty.

When the plane went down he was less than 5NM from the runway, so near but so far.  The plane crashed in woodland and the debris was spread out quite a bit.  There was also NO fire.  I think at first many deduced that because there was no fire that he must have run out of fuel however, this audio certainly rules out that theory.

I remember this evening/night clearly - the weather was crappy all day: low cloud, mist, and drizzle and rain - made me feel right at home.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

kea001

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »
Yes, this controller was incredibly patient in what could only be considered a marathon.  Sadly, he becomes an unsung hero if the outcome is unsuccessful. At first listen I thought the pilot might be intoxicated but once I read the details in the preliminary report, it became obvious that he was facing insurmountable odds; to my knowledge anyway. Also, the pilot reacted with remarkeable composure.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:46:49 PM by kea001 »

Offline flygirltammy

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »
UGh, I am really, really hesitant to listen to the audio on accidents like this....... :-(

Offline Martial

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
I think the pilot may have been impaired by alcohol.  The NTSB report has been updated.  Also, I believe the actual impact can be heard during the pilot's last transmission.

Offline VampyreGTX

• The Aspiring Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »
You can hear what sounds like the impact right at the 13:07 mark when the pilots transmission cuts off right at the end of his callsign, 10 seconds later tower states Radar Contact Lost.

Also, additional excerpt from the updated NTSB Narrative:

"Examination of the wreckage did not reveal any preimpact failures or malfunctions. Toxicological testing of tissue specimens from the pilot detected butalbital, (a prescription barbiturate typically used for severe headaches) bupropion, a prescription antidepressant also used for smoking cessation, and ethanol. The butalbital detected was consistent with use within 24 hours before the accident, and studies have shown butalbital can impair a pilot's ability to fly; however, the actual level of butabital in the pilot's system could not be determined because of the lack of fluids. It was not possible to estimate from the toxicology when the bupropion might last have been used, but this medication has been associated with an increased seizure risk. No fluids were available for analysis, so it could not be established whether the ethanol found was from ingestion. The pilot, a physician, had a history (known to the Federal Aviation Administration) of alcohol abuse, but the pilot did not note the use of any medications or any medical conditions on his most recent Application for Airman Medical Certificate. The role of the pilot’s medications, possible medical conditions, or possible alcohol ingestion in the accident could not be determined."

Listening to the audio, it doesn't 'sound' like he's intoxicated, at least not heavily. 

I used my pharmacology program from my FF/EMT job and butabitol is a pretty decent pain-killer and subject to addiction.  It notes to prescribe with caution in pts. with history of alcohol or drug abuse because of it's adddictive effects.  It's common side effects are intoxicated feeling, drowsiness, sedation, dizziness, among others.  Definitely NOT a drug I'd be flying with in my system. 

RIP, hopefully someone will learn something from his mistakes. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:33:01 PM by VampyreGTX »

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »
I had a complete electrical failure in a C172 at night. I was getting a VFR Flight following and lost communications with approach controll twice. It wouldn't have been so bad during the day. I ended up using my phone to call a friend to turn the runway lights on. We had to divert fields and hold over the field for 15 min until he got there. Good example why you should always have the 45min fuel reserve at night. I did have a handheld in the back but someone left it on. So I landed with no landing light and no flaps. It wasn't the prettiest landing but everything turned out well.

Cause of the failure was a bad voltage regulator.

Offline englishpilot

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:16:09 AM »
Glad all ended OK. 

Reminds me that I need to go over the 'lost coms' procedures again.   It's important to review these things from time to time - we're all guilty of it though.