Author Topic: DAL6132 cockpit/bathroom incident (LGA)  (Read 37722 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
DAL6132 cockpit/bathroom incident (LGA)
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »
Audio attached - most of the conversation is with the First Officer - Captain comes back at the end to explain the situation.
This occurred yesterday starting around 2306Z with New York Approach (EMPYR Sector) inbound to KLGA...

One of the stories:
http://www.klpw.com/content/pilots-bathroom-break-triggers-terror-scare-0

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
Re: DAL6132 cockpit/bathroom incident (LGA)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:32:56 PM by notaperfectpilot »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
Yes, same one.

Offline notaperfectpilot

• PPL
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
yeah, I didn't read it right first time  :-)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »
Heard about this on the radio this morning. Unfortunately, that is post 9-11 flying.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:08:07 PM »
Unfortunately the media is having a field day with this.  The fact that the F/O says "thick foriegn accent" makes everyone think of ji-had trying to bust down the door.  Could have been some Scotsman saying something about the captain is stuck on the Loo (try to picture Groundskeeper Willie).

It's just normal procedure that when someone leaves the flight deck, the only person that will be coming back in will be the crew member.  It doesn't matter if someone else is calling up front or knocking on the door with any password.  If it's not the crewmember, the door doesn't get opened.  Does it matter that the Capt is stuck in the lav?  No, not for safety of flight.  I'd be laughing my butt off and making inappropriate PAs.  As an F/O, I'd just like to get down on the ground just so we can get the poor guy out before he gets blue juice on his bum.

Offline comperini

• My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
What I don't understand, is why the captain felt he had to give this passenger the "secret code" to get back in the cockpit. Couldn't the passenger have just contacted one of the flight attendents, and asked them to phone the cockpit, letting them know what was happening?

Or they should have at least asked Robert Hays to help them land the plane :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:17:58 PM by comperini »

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »
>> Couldn't the passenger have just contacted one of the flight attendents, and asked them to phone the cockpit, letting them know what was happening?

Based on information I read from a Chautauqua pilot, Chautauqua Airlines has a policy that there should be two people in the cockpit at all times.  When the Captain left the cockpit, the one FA on board went into the cockpit.  That is why the Captain had to get the attention of a passenger.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »
What I don't understand, is why the captain felt he had to give this passenger the "secret code" to get back in the cockpit. Couldn't the passenger have just contacted one of the flight attendents, and asked them to phone the cockpit, letting them know what was happening?

Or they should have at least asked Robert Hays to help them land the plane :)

On an ERJ there would only be 1 F/A, and he/she would be up with the F/O in the flight deck when the Capt left.

Not sure about Chautauqua's procedures, but for us if 1 pilot becomes incapacitated, the remaining pilot will land the aircraft. We would not normally solicit help from any other pilots on board unless they are trained in the type of aircraft. It's easier to fly single pilot than it is to fly single pilot plus someone not familiar with the aircraft.

Offline mhawke

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:56 PM »
What I don't understand, is why the captain felt he had to give this passenger the "secret code" to get back in the cockpit.

It was probably a way to let the cockpit crew know it was real.  He was probably confident that they would not open the door for someone just because they had the password.  But that would make it more likely that the passengers story was true, since he wouldn't have any other way to get the password.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
The ATC controllers had to be losing it, well after it was resolved

Offline Oly2709

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 03:33:08 AM »
Can I ask for help? What does co-pilot mean saying "We are going to try to contact dispatch"? The word "dispatch" is explained in the dictionaries as "when someone or something is sent somewhere". It doesn't make any sence for me...  :?

Offline martyj19

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Can I ask for help? What does co-pilot mean saying "We are going to try to contact dispatch"? The word "dispatch" is explained in the dictionaries as "when someone or something is sent somewhere". It doesn't make any sence for me...  :?

Air carriers have people whose job it is to handle the administrative details of a flight -- file the flight plan, calculate the fuel load, and schedule the gates.  These are Flight Dispatchers in the US and it is a job that you need an FAA Certificate to perform.

Here is one description of what they do

http://www.avjobs.com/careers/detail.asp?RecID=72

Offline Oly2709

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »
Thanks a lot for such an interesting link!!!  :-)

Offline gboro flyer

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »
Anyone heard anything about Chautauqua changing this policy as result of the incident? I know several other carriers have this procedure, but it make absolutely no sense, especially on with a one FA crew. I would seem to me having the flight attendant lock themselves in the cockpit actually makes the passengers less safe than having one cockpit in the pilot themselves.