Author Topic: Navy Carrier Air Traffic Control  (Read 29493 times)

Offline lajim

Navy Carrier Air Traffic Control
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
This was recorded earlier today on 351.625 of ATC communications from a Navy vessel.  It appears to be from the USS Carl Vinson (call sign = Gold Eagle).  Lots of jargon that is different from civilian ATC, including:

"Angels three" = 3,000 ft
"Parrot" = transponder
"Check in button three" = switch to preset Frequency 3

Most of this is communications with "Gold Eagle Departure" although "Tower" occasionally is also heard on this frequency.  Interestingly, I'm picking up these transmissions even though it's surface based and 150+ miles away; a strong temperature inversion is resulting in good signal strength for the carrier and for planes that have just taken off (i.e., at low altitude).  In general, signal strength for aircraft higher up is weaker since they are above the inversion and are not being propagated in the same manner as the near-surface transmissions.

There's lots of jargon and I would appreciate if any Naval aviators out there could translate for us civilians.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Re: Navy Carrier Air Traffic Control
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:30:50 AM »
Where is the Carl Vinson during these recordings?

Offline lajim

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02:26 PM »
At about 3 minutes and 30 seconds into the recording, the controller says something to the effect of:

"Signal to divert, Navy North Island 015 for 96."

I'm thus surmising the location as about 100 miles SW of San Diego.

alltheway

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »
At the begin I hear 206 say: 27 over 095 crossing, before takeoff, not sure what that means.
I also hear altimeter settings of 29.84 and something about KC3 (501) if I'm right.

But when I recall the movies about this, we should ask some russians what it all means, they heard it over and over  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 01:05:01 PM by alltheway »

Offline pdgls

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »
I'm no naval aviator but here is what i know.
99 is directed to all aircraft
Button 3 is "Strike".  Another carrier ATC freq.
616 would be a helo.  Possibly the "plane guard" rescue helo.  Starboad D would be the holding patter the helo would be in on the right side of the ship.  The Bolter/Waveoff pattern for the jets is on the left side.
206 is one of the recovery tankers for jets landing if they need some gas and holds over the carrier.  A recovery usually starts right after a launch is complete.
106 is another recovery tanker.  I think the fule state of 13 over 5.5 means that it has 13 thousand pounds of gas available to give and 5.5 thousand it needs to keep for itself or it could be the other way around.
When 103 launches it joins with 206 (recovery tanker) for a package check.  This means 103 will get some gas from 206 to ensure that 206 can actually give fuel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:F-18_Buddy_Refueling.jpg
Beaver is the callsign for FACSFAC San diego that controlls the W-291 area.
Here is the Status of the Navy webpage:
http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=146
Here is a pic from September 1st of the Carl Vinson http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=91264
I have some more navy carrier freqs that i have hear active if you want them.

Offline Robc856

Offline robnokes

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:31:26 PM »
Hi I am working on a movie and am looking for Navy Aircraft Carrier tower radio and pilot calls so that we can make it authentic. Please shoot me an email at robnokes@sounddogs.com if you have any or know what frequency to listen to them on.
Thanks
Rob