Author Topic: NMAC and crash over KPRC  (Read 19120 times)

Offline tyketto

NMAC and crash over KPRC
« on: October 19, 2006, 01:50:34 PM »
Any chance this may be in the archives? I believe the time mentioned is local.. I have some close friends in Chino Valley who heard it, plus anyone from ERAU was probably in the air when it happened too..

PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) - A twin-engine plane carrying five people on a flight to photograph a vintage Soviet jet fighter crashed Wednesday, killing everyone on board, a federal official said.

The Piper Cheyenne plane and a MiG-21 fighter took off from an airport in Prescott, about 60 miles north of Phoenix, about 1:30 p.m. for a photo shoot, said Ian Gregor, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman.

As the Cheyenne ascended after takeoff, an air traffic controller radioed the pilot to warn him about vapor seen coming from the right engine, Gregor said. The pilot radioed back saying he didn't think it was a problem.

The MiG pilot told investigators he thought he had a problem with a landing gear door about 20 minutes into the flight and asked the pilot of the other plane to fly in close for an inspection, Gregor said.

The MiG pilot said the other plane flew under his jet but never reappeared. He radioed air traffic controllers that there may have been a mid-air collision at about 8,900 feet. But Gregor said there was no sign of damage on the jet after it landed safely in Prescott.

Searchers spotted a large column of smoke 16 miles northeast of Prescott and found the Cheyenne destroyed in a crash.

"The plane was completely burned up," said John Ginn, fire district chief for Chino Valley north of Prescott. "The only thing left was a small section of tail and two engines. There was very little discernible."

Scott Reed, a spokesman for the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office, said the medical examiner's office will determine who was on the plane.

"It's fair to say that we have an idea who may have been on the plane, but we can't release names until we have positive identification," he said.

Investigators from the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the accident.

BL.

Offline tyketto

Re: NMAC and crash over KPRC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 02:42:48 PM »
Found it. Starts at 18 Oct. 2006 at 2032Z. goes for a good 1:30:00. Very interesting listen..

BL.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 04:26:42 AM »
Edited down the clip to 6mins.

Offline digger

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:37:48 AM »
Thank you.

There was more following that though. One UT lands and there is conversation about whether he wishes the Fire Department to meet him and check him out, and then there is a delay for other traffic while a vehicle checks the runway. Those occurred in the next half hour of the archive.

Offline domin752

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 12:57:07 AM »
Definatley heard the whole thing live. I was the PIC in 3817T, which was heard on that recording. Shortly after the call from the Mig, Black smoke started to rise. RIP Billy, Warren, Andy, and Don.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:55:04 PM »
Definatley heard the whole thing live. I was the PIC in 3817T, which was heard on that recording. Shortly after the call from the Mig, Black smoke started to rise. RIP Billy, Warren, Andy, and Don.

Wow.. that would have been a horrible thing to see, especially from the air. I have a couple of questions for you though..

1. When the article said Chino Valley, I'm thinking straight up the highway from the airport going north to I-40. Was it in that area?

2. ATC told a couple of planes to 'hold over Prescott'. I can only assume they held over the city. Was there an NDB with that name, and were you holding over that? I don't have the sectional near me at the moment.

BL.

Offline domin752

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:38:56 PM »
Sorry it took so long to reply,
 1. The crash site is about 16 miles NW from the approach end of 21L, Near Mingus Mountain.

2. Tower told a few airplanes to "hold their position", and possibly yes, to "hold over Prescott". All that would mean is to litterally hold "circle" over Prescott. Tower told me to hold my position which was the fairgrounds, so thats where we circled for a few minutes. After they started accepting inbound traffic again, it was so saturated that Airplanes were only allowed to do full stop taxi backs or full stops. The Mig landed right after we landed on 21L and the trucks rolled right behind it to the south ramp where it was parked since the airshow.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 02:02:16 PM »
Sorry it took so long to reply,
 1. The crash site is about 16 miles NW from the approach end of 21L, Near Mingus Mountain.

2. Tower told a few airplanes to "hold their position", and possibly yes, to "hold over Prescott". All that would mean is to litterally hold "circle" over Prescott. Tower told me to hold my position which was the fairgrounds, so thats where we circled for a few minutes. After they started accepting inbound traffic again, it was so saturated that Airplanes were only allowed to do full stop taxi backs or full stops. The Mig landed right after we landed on 21L and the trucks rolled right behind it to the south ramp where it was parked since the airshow.

Thanks for this!

I'm familiar with the area, but during the time I was there, I didn't give a fat damn about aviation. Now that I do, I wanted to know if you were holding where I thought you were holding, which you were. I need to make it back down there and look at the area again and overlay the airspace to what I know now.

BL.

Offline domin752

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:10:50 PM »
no prob, any other quest.?