airtraffic

Author Topic: NorCal approach shenanigans with Gunsmoke38 (KSMF)  (Read 8248 times)

Offline mtpiper

NorCal approach shenanigans with Gunsmoke38 (KSMF)
« on: June 21, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
I was listening to hear a friend on with NorCal approach and heard this call to Gunsmoke 38 (Nellis AFB) inbound to KSMF.
It's the whistle at 17 seconds.

Offline Close@Hand

Re: NorCal approach shenanigans with Gunsmoke38 (KSMF)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:18:47 PM »
My understanding is that the biggest problem with a stuck mic that it prevents the pilot hearing ATC (making a fool of oneself is a secondary problem).

Hitting the mic to whistle a TV theme-tune over someone else's callsign just seems ... not good. I get that at the end of a heated ATC/pilot exchange a third-party might anonymously throw a "Calm down, sir" into the gap between transmissions (at either ATC or pilot), but this sounds different. Why would anyone think it is OK to interject something into that ATC/pilot exchange?

The entire whistle is, I think, roughly 0:20 to 0:23. Why didn't it impact pilot and ATC trying to use that frequency? Did they really both blow it off?

Offline SirIsaac726

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 12:16:16 AM »
What are you going on about?

It sounded like a controller in the background having a bit of fun.

Offline martyj19

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:46:25 AM »
There's no second mic keyed in this clip.  That is someone in the room with the approach controller close enough to be heard, maybe the flight strip position.
Stepping on someone who is transmitting creates an audible whistle, but it is interference and not music.

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:56:53 AM »
Agree this is someone else sounding through the female ATC mic...

Really fun though! :-D