Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 11:59:39 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  One of the very best approach controllers (N90, EWR)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: One of the very best approach controllers (N90, EWR)  (Read 68912 times)
CntrllrATC

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »

That is definately a smooth approach controller. You have to give kudo's to the pilots also for following his directions so well and not cluttering the freq with excess phraseology. Of course i'm curious where the Lear was going at the beginning when he was given direct to TEB.... cheesy

Pull back on yoke houses get smaller, Push forward and houses get bigger.
evilcuban

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 12:24:30 AM »

Jason-  Well cool, thanks for the info.  If it's personal reasons I won't venture any more into why (only curious anyway) unless he himself wants to come on here and talk about it.  I wish he would come on VATSIM!  I'd love to have the opportunity to just chat him up for 5 minutes, it would be such an opportunity to learn...  I was just floored through that entire 56 minute clip.  LH reminds of him, too.
Jason

CFI/CFII

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »

Jason-  Well cool, thanks for the info.  If it's personal reasons I won't venture any more into why (only curious anyway) unless he himself wants to come on here and talk about it.  I wish he would come on VATSIM!  I'd love to have the opportunity to just chat him up for 5 minutes, it would be such an opportunity to learn...  I was just floored through that entire 56 minute clip.  LH reminds of him, too.

He still is a member of vZBW on VATSIM, but hasn't been active for many years.  When he was active, I heard he was an amazing asset to have.
GoncalvesCarvalho

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »

I like the speed restrictions...this guy as an incredible capability of holding several actions at once without loosing situational awareness. Just beautiful!!! smiley
YWGTower

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 09:05:17 PM »

He still is a member of vZBW on VATSIM, but hasn't been active for many years.  When he was active, I heard he was an amazing asset to have.

WOW! This same controller was on VATSIM!?!??!  shocked shocked shocked

I wish he would join the LA ARTCC for air traffic control, they certainly need it! Lol...
cessna157

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »

That was phenomenal.  Any more clips of him?  Has anyone heard from him recently? 

Nope.  Last I heard he's out at CVG now; transferred out of N90 a few years ago due to personal reasons.

As a CVG flyer, I don't think he's at CVG, definitely don't have this voice at CVG

CRJ7/CRJ9 F/O, Travel Agent
Jason

CFI/CFII

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 06:31:12 AM »

As a CVG flyer, I don't think he's at CVG, definitely don't have this voice at CVG

All I know is that he transfered from N90 to CVG a few years ago and has a CTO for CVG tower (according to the FAA database), but nothing beyond that.  He could have retired.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 06:33:27 AM by Jason » Logged
cessna157

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 08:42:29 AM »

All I know is that he transfered from N90 to CVG a few years ago and has a CTO for CVG tower (according to the FAA database), but nothing beyond that.  He could have retired.

Where can I find this database?  That would be pretty interesting to see

CRJ7/CRJ9 F/O, Travel Agent
DairyCreamer

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »

The man of the hour is at CVG according to the FAA Employee's database. See: employees.faa.gov  and check out the directory.

Many years ago (I think it's closer to 5-6 years old actually) the old chief of the virtual NY ARTCC distributed copies of this.  I had one of the tape copies sent out for years and years, but it got lost in all the moves and car changes I've had.

I am SO glad that this clip still exists.  It is truly a brilliant display of ATC prowess, skill, and ability.  I will always remember "peaches and cream," and I swear one day when I'm busy as hell, I will say that on frequency, QA be damned.

~Nate
Jason

CFI/CFII

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 05:27:30 PM »

FAA Registry: Airmen Certification Inquiry  Since ATCSs have to get medicals just like pilots, most of them are entered into the FAA Registry.
LHP50

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 12:48:26 PM »

EvilCuban,  "LH reminds me of him"?!!!  Hmmm, I'm not used to being compared with anyone.  LH
LHP50

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15:39 PM »

No offense to HD, I would love to work next to him, but...in the first 60 seconds of the tape I found several 'techniques' I would not use.  Saying "That is correct sir" and "Definately, do that sir" without using a callsign, is wrong.  This can cause errors when one pilot asks a question that the controller doesn't hear because of more than one pilot talking at once.  Without a callsign to start the transmission, "Do that sir" could cause anyone to do anything.  "You can reduce speed to 2-1-0": I don't give permission, I give commands.  It sounds like his traffic management was awesome, his phraseology was not.  Numerous examples on issuing speeds in group form, "go direct" instead of "cleared direct" are examples.  Again, I am not knocking this performance, I am pointing out that the goal is to do the same job with prescribed phaseology.  It is not easy.  I will post a clip from Fri June 1st at Phoenix tomorrow.  I don't know how good it will be, I do know that we exceeded the arrival rate for Phoenix by a considerable margin and I was riding the edge.  Do not confuse folksy phraseology with being good.   
LH
dave
Site Founder
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 05:25:05 AM »

No offense to HD, I would love to work next to him, but...in the first 60 seconds of the tape I found several 'techniques' I would not use.  Saying "That is correct sir" and "Definately, do that sir" without using a callsign, is wrong.  This can cause errors when one pilot asks a question that the controller doesn't hear because of more than one pilot talking at once.  Without a callsign to start the transmission, "Do that sir" could cause anyone to do anything.  "You can reduce speed to 2-1-0": I don't give permission, I give commands.  It sounds like his traffic management was awesome, his phraseology was not.  Numerous examples on issuing speeds in group form, "go direct" instead of "cleared direct" are examples.  Again, I am not knocking this performance, I am pointing out that the goal is to do the same job with prescribed phaseology.  It is not easy.  I will post a clip from Fri June 1st at Phoenix tomorrow.  I don't know how good it will be, I do know that we exceeded the arrival rate for Phoenix by a considerable margin and I was riding the edge.  Do not confuse folksy phraseology with being good.   
LH

You may be right, but not a single place in that recording was it ambiguous who he was talking to.  He had complete command of the frequency.  I have heard some controllers with 100% perfect phraseology simply go down the tubes.  He established a tempo, and the pilots responded to it.  Gotta love that.  But I do see your point - if the casual phraseology gets too out of control, bad things *could* happen.

So I'm not really disagreeing with you, the phraseology is there for a very good reason.  And I totally hear you.  But the primary goal is keeping planes separated.  Always.

Love to hear your recording when you have the time LHP50!  Rock on.

Dave

LHP50

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 10:26:48 AM »

Dave, HD is obviously what I would call a "natural".  Whatever it is that makes a controller, he's got it.  It's not just the pilots that benefit from his control of the situation.  This is the kind of person you want sitting next to you in the trenches; calm, in control, dependable.   
Guzai

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 10:18:06 AM »

i heard this at my friend's, but i can't really download the file.. any help.. confirm/ackd plz
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length