Author Topic: Pilot freaking out..  (Read 42738 times)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Pilot freaking out..
« on: October 16, 2005, 02:40:50 PM »
Came across this clip online. The pilot is only rated for VFR but flew into IFR conditions.

http://www.naats.org/docs/flightassist.mp3

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 02:44:03 PM »

Offline KMSY

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 04:36:33 PM »
Just looking around I came accross the aircraft. N9815L
http://www.directwfc.com/9815l.htm

Offline Neil

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 01:46:16 PM »
Wow. That guy is scared tooooo death. Glad it all worked out.

Offline slashd0t

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 09:48:31 PM »
Wowzers.. Now you can see what seperates Airline pilots from GA pilots  :twisted:  Only kidding of course ;)

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:41:35 AM »
Quote from: slashd0t
Wowzers.. Now you can see what seperates Airline pilots from GA pilots  :twisted:  Only kidding of course ;)

controllers? :)

Offline keith

• KS Flight Log
Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 12:54:07 AM »
Actually I just heard the clip and feel awful for the guy. We could go back and forth about what he should've done, how to avoid it, etc....but the poor guy really thought he was about to die. Nobody should have to go through that.

I do give the guys on the radio a lot of credit...in the face of someone screaming their head off, they stayed totally calm and gave him helpeful instructions.  I suspect it helps to have a calm voice in your ear when you're losing your mind like that.

Offline slashd0t

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 04:27:36 PM »
Quote from: keith
Actually I just heard the clip and feel awful for the guy. We could go back and forth about what he should've done, how to avoid it, etc....but the poor guy really thought he was about to die. Nobody should have to go through that.

I agree, I can't imagine the fear that I would feel in that situation, however, really good pilots seem to be able to get over this fear by rationalizing that it's only making the situation worse!  (btw, i'm not a good pilot, so, I would be freaking out just like that guy, in fact, I do in Flight Sim ;) )  It's hard to gain control over your aircraft if you have no control over yourself!

Offline N6187G

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 08:41:08 PM »
I recently, while flying through the Smoky Mountains no less, got into some near zero visibility haze. It was quite unnerving but I've got 35 hours in on my IFR ticket with 5 actual. For the first few minutes all that ran though my head was "What have I gotten myself into?" I settled myself down by listening to Center and just remembering my training. The next Saturday I took another instrument lesson and it was obvious that I'd spent 6 hours in the soup. Here is a picture of it.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 03:51:40 PM »
On a somewhat related note.... if a VFR pilot finds himself in IMC.. does he/she issue a mayday or pan or just a regular radio call?

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 04:21:38 PM »
Quote from: bcrosby
On a somewhat related note.... if a VFR pilot finds himself in IMC.. does he/she issue a mayday or pan or just a regular radio call?

I think "pan pan..." would probably be appropriate in that situation, depending on how urgent the pilot assessed the situation to be.

Offline Check Airman

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 10:02:58 PM »
A pilot has the right to declare an emergency for whatever reason he sees fit. Any reason whatsoever is perfectly acceptable. An emergency call cannot be "declined" by ATC.

Offline Robin Rebhan

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 09:04:52 PM »
After hearing this clip I can't think of a better reason for all VFR Pilots to get an IFR rating ..... Pronto!

Offline JALTO

Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 10:26:05 PM »
Flying mag recently had an article (can't find the link) on how GA IFR pilot accidents have gone up tremendously over the past years due to pilots not keeping their skills sharp.  
On one hand we can argue that IFR training would give pilots a better chance to escape out of situations like the one we have here.  On the other hand without the proper follow up training and subsequent IFR hours the pilot might have a false sense of security and this would lead to more accidents.

-J

Offline emc

Re: Pilot freaking out..
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 08:33:00 AM »
We do get 3 hours of training 'under the hood', as well as unusual attitude training (also under the hood.) So it's not like we are completely screwed should we find ourselves in IMC. 

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 03:25:19 PM »
Flying in actual IFR conditions is a little different than flying with a hood, at least it was for me.   :-)

Offline Greg01

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »
EMC, that is a dangerous attitude. 3 hours simply isn't enough for instrument competency. That's just barely enough to get you turned around.

Offline moto400ex

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »
Getting a proper instrument scan going and being able to interpret what each instrument is telling you takes a little longer than 3 hours. 

Offline Greg01

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »
It seems that the 3 hours required for the PPL give new pilots the impressions that they could handle IMC even though they haven't been adequately trained nor do they have the necessary experience.

Offline chinois3legged

• KORD to KBOS
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 01:50:51 AM »
Does anyone have the audio file because the link is dead.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers

Offline dave_333

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 04:56:12 PM »
It is true that you get 3 hours under the hood for PPL, however the "hood" and actual IMC are very very different as youll realize the first time you go into actual.