airtraffic

Author Topic: Piper Cherokee N8026N Deer Strike on take off roll. Emergency Declared.  (Read 12789 times)

Offline psupilot

On march 19th 2015 N8026N was departing on a night IFR proficiency flight from Northumberland county N79 airport to Williamsport Kipt.   Having obtained Vr plus 10mph for a gusty cross wind, we encountered 4 deer running from left to right across the runway. With adequate airspeed I rotated and avoided collision with the deer but the right main contacted one of the deer. Only  the sound of impact was apparent. There was no feedback  to the yoke.

I informed Harrisburg approach of the impact, which is where the audio track starts.
After considering the fact that there was no way to determine if there was any damage to the landing gear, an emergency was declared with Harrisburg Approach.

Harrisburg approach passed us off to New York Center. This portion of the audio includes both New York Center and Williamsport Tower. Much of the aircraft portion of this communication is missing due to our position south of the airport and it's adjacent ridge.  Most of the ground preparation audio was not heard by us in the cockpit until New York passed us off to the tower.

We thought that the potential damage was to the left main gear. We debated landing runway 30 vs. Runway 27. I elected to land with a slight cross-wind on 27 so that the right main would touch first. (As it turns out the deer did impact the right main and not the left main as we perceived at the time.)

The ILS27 approach allowed for a very stable approach and landing. The landing was with full flaps and was a light touchdown with a gratifying smooth roll out.

We were welcomed by engine 19 which is based at the field along with 4 other pieces of fire apparatus and an ambulance. The flashing lights on final approach let us know that we had plenty of assistance waiting.

I am thrilled to report that there was virtually no damage to the aircraft though a tuft of deer fur did identify the right main as the point of contact.

http://wnep.com/2015/03/18/plane-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-after-hitting-deer/

Offline gr8lipz

Glad you're ok. If you had left a few seconds earlier or later, who knows!

Offline rustybugs11

How was the deer?

Offline psupilot

Glad you're ok. If you had left a few seconds earlier or later, who knows!

Thank you.. agreed.

Offline psupilot

Glad you're ok.

+1. Also glad to hear a GA pilot deciding to declare an emergency as a proactive measure rather than a reactive one.

Thank you. It was impossible to tell with a low wing aircraft if there was any damage, even a flat tire which could have caused an issue upon landing. The response was much appreciated.

Offline psupilot

How was the deer?

The airport manager reported in the local paper that there was no sign of the deer the next day. I suspect it went on its merry way.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Glad this all worked out well!

Dave

Offline Pilotguy20

I work at ZNY, and specifically the area that provides approach control service into KIPT(Area D)...the controller that worked you in was glad you made it in safe...

Offline coldair22

psupilot,

very many thanks for the interesting report and the RT. 

Well hadled Sir

coldair22