airtraffic

Author Topic: Practice No-Gyro ASR RWY 36 Approach at FNT  (Read 15190 times)

Offline StuSEL

Practice No-Gyro ASR RWY 36 Approach at FNT
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:11:00 AM »
It's not too often that you get to hear an ASR approach being conducted on the Flint feed. Normally the final controller will be on 133.8, which is not covered by the LiveATC feed; however, on Monday they were using 128.55, which is great for our purposes here because we can hear the approach being conducted.

For those who don't know, an ASR, or surveillance approach, is an instrument approach procedure that can be used at most airports with an on-site Airport Surveillance Radar system. A dedicated "final controller" pays careful attention to a target's progress as it travels toward the runway threshold. Precise time-based or radar-based vectors are provided to keep the aircraft on the final approach course. If the no-gyro option is requested by the pilot, the controller will advise the pilot when to start and stop each turn, timing the turns with a timer at his or her console. If the pilot will use directional gyros, precise headings are issued (ie. fly heading 233) as a means of maintaining a very tight tolerance on the final approach course.

I clipped it down to about 3 minutes, leaving the time between the no-gyro vectors as-is to allow listeners to get the feel for what it really sounds like between those instructions. It's a little choppy in the beginning, and you can't hear the controller's briefing very well, but towards the end it becomes much more clear.

Probably the most annoying thing about this is the pilot not using the phonetic alphabet on the radio, but I digress...I'm glad I was finally able to hear one of these on the LiveATC network :). Enjoy.

Offline dgabriel

Re: Practice No-Gyro ASR RWY 36 Approach at FNT
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:56:09 AM »
Ya kind of cheezy responding the way he is. "4RV"

Offline eltors0

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
Very interesting listen. It is sightly different than how PAR/ASR is ran at my facility but sounded good.

Offline ridejumpfly

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »
N4RV, do not acknowledge further transmissions.....

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
For those interested on seeing this from a pilots point of view

No Gyro

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/no-gyro-and-ils-approach-with-atc-coms-video/

ASR

http://www.liveatc.net/forums/atcaviation-audio-clips/asr-approach-into-kjan-with-atc-coms-video/

I'd strongly recommend trying these approaches if you are out cranking out approaches during a slow time with ATC.  It's a win / win situation as ATC as I understand it has to maintain currency on these type approaches. 

Same for light gun airwork, pick a slow traffic time and try some light gun work.  It is very "enlightening" at least for this pilot on how hard that type of an approach can be.