Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 12:07:28 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  SFO Tower vs. UAL479
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SFO Tower vs. UAL479  (Read 15990 times)
Paosql

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »

If they are doing an FMS departure, there is more to it then just entering the performance data. I agree that the UAL crew should have crossed and held short but being that I wasn't in the cockpit I'm not comfortable stating that they were in the wrong. It would be interesting to see if they were given a runway change (and how many) prior to switching from ground.  There are too many factors hear to play judge and jury. ultimately it comes down to the Captain deciding what's safe and what isn't. I'll side with the captain as refusing to cross the runway would not compromise safety whereas crossing it may have (in his opinion).

Hollis

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 01:02:21 PM »

Sort of reminds me of when one of my college classmates used to pull tricks.
One was that whenever he was at a busy street intersection while driving his new car, and he was first in line at a red light, he would get out and go open the hood and stare down at the engine. Lights turned green, not once, but twice before he got back in and moved ahead. Lots of horns honking in the meantime.
He was also a PP and owned an old T-craft with which he used to do out of the ordinary things. His favorite was to touchdown on the left wheel, then feed in left aileron until the wingtip touched the runway surface during the rollout. But he later got a very somber message that flying is not only fun, but dangerous as well. While on a sightseeing flight,  a large portion of top fabric on his right wing peeled back causing a substatial loss of lift. Luckily, by having to use full left aileron and some opposite rudder, he managed to 'crab' in to the nearest airport and made it OK.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length