airtraffic

Author Topic: Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport KFLL  (Read 17300 times)

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport KFLL
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:10:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently out of town - no editing program, no own computer - and I would like to know if someone is already working the feeds from Fort Lauderdale and Miami to get something from the shooting happened yesterday at the airport.

I was able to listen to divertions and a news helicopter but as I say, I'm not able to work or trim anything until I get home tomorrow.
__

My deepest condolences to the victims and their families of this tragedy. So sad we still have to hear and see things like this... :cry:

Offline GeoffSM1

Re: Shooting at Fort Lauderdale Airport KFLL
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »
Not sure I can claim to be 'working' this Victor as I'm almost posting as found. The first 6 minutes or so is in real time; the remainder of the file is all the transmissions over the next hour but with silences trimmed.

My deepest condolences to the victims and their families of this tragedy. So sad we still have to hear and see things like this... :cry:

I echo those sentiments Victor.

Now adding the next 2 hours audio (silences trimmed but otherwise complete)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 07:08:21 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 08:55:47 AM »
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for sharing those two. I have just arrived home and will be trimming - or trying to at least. I will go over the FLL files and see what we can hear interesting.

Also, many airplanes were diverted to different airports, I suppose Miami Approach handled those... does anyone know which Miami frequency should I go over to hear?

Miami Approach (KFLL)   133.775
Miami Approach (KFLL Final)   118.100

Any other than those? :?

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
Hello Victor.

I look forward to hearing what you find on the Approach frequencies. I haven't had time to look there myself.
Whilst the first of my files (from the Fort Lauderdale Tower and Ground archive) contains mostly what would, under normal circumstances, be routine line up, departure and landing clearances, the situation was any thing but normal of course. For that reason I find it interesting if not perplexing, that activities seem to have continued very much as normal for such a considerable time after the shootings took place. I haven't counted them but how many aircraft were permitted to land when they were not going to be allowed to proceed to the ramp? I think it was well over 90 minutes (somewhere in the second file) before there is any mention of the airport being closed. Compare this to the very speedy reaction to the Brussels bombing where I believe only one aircraft landed after the terminal was evacuated. What is more, I don't recall scenes of panicking people flooding out from the terminal on to the ramp or taxiways at  Brussels. Surely all the more reason for shutting everything down at FL immediately?

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 05:26:56 PM »
Geoff,

You've touched the same point that came to my mind the first time I've heard to your audios. Brussels event also came.

In the moment a Delta - I think Delta - pilot says there's people running out of the terminal and going out to the taxiways; the whole airport should have been closed. At the very precise moment. People panicking, going on an enourmous ground that they obviously don't know and running to nowhere. "Everybody stop" if there are persons walking the airport on their own.

Departures continued and more landings. Arrivals who were given short of Tangos (ramp entries) and shutdowns.

I haven't heard the second you sent yet. I've been editing the first one into a video I'll publish tomorrow. After that, I'll go over the Approach for diversions :wink:

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
Continuation here (the next 90 minutes Tower/Ground with silences trimmed). Situation must have been becoming really uncomfortable for passengers on the parked aircraft.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:29:35 PM by GeoffSM1 »

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »
The (almost) unbelievable saga continues with another 90 minutes of trimmed Ground and Tower feeds. In the later stages of this clip, serious medical concerns for some of the stranded passengers start to become a major issue.

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
Finally, all aircraft able to move to the Gates around 6.5 hours after the tragic shootings occurred in the terminal.

Offline VASAviation

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
Hey Geoff, you're awesome!!!! :-o :-o :-o

I've been busy trimming a bit your audios in order to work them into some videos I'm preparing for the VASAviation channel.

The Approach feeds still in standby mode for me but not forgotten :lol:

Offline jdflyer

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »
Thanks guys for these clips.  I wasn't there but this incident at least brings up the question of why it took so long to clear things up but don't take that as a denigration of the law enforcement people.  One question I had that maybe someone here can answer is why would they choose to pass provisions in through the cockpit windows.  Would it not be much easier to go in through the normal cabin door or a galley service door?  I suspect it is a security issue but I haven't figured the logic.

Offline oktalist

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 05:45:51 PM »
Perhaps because using one of those doors would involve disarming its evacuation slide, which would make that exit unusable in the event of an evacuation.