Author Topic: Smoke in the BWI ATCT  (Read 31379 times)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Re: Smoke in the BWI ATCT
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
my head hurts

Mine too!  :?

I think I'll stick to turning wrenches!  8-)

Offline J-Mart

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »
Just scanning through the thread... BWI DOES have a radar. It's not a radar facility, but they do have a radar feed.

Justin

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »
Man I wish I could do that.

That's just the first semester of college level physics (mechanics). You get used to it after a while, like anything in life.

I forgot to add that the linear acceleration would have to be broken down into vertical and horizontal components to solve that equation I gave in my last post. A little trig and you're done.  :-)

Offline mk

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 11:26:32 AM »
i was sitting in the tracon...no it was not NORMAL ops as you would call it....but you don't need radar to work tower.  you have runway separation and you have visual to give to departure...and any good tower controller would be hard pressed to give less than 3 miles to dept.   you'd really have to launch, hold in position, launch...etc.

It's pretty funny how someone who clearly has no tower experience can so easily make a statement qualifying a "good tower controller" as someone able to provide 3 miles initial departure separation from a temp tower without radar.  A good tower controller could theoretically provide about 2 to 2 1/2 miles on successive departures easily, by hitting the CAT III SRS minimums each launch.  Someone with tower experience would probably know this.  Maybe you should ask your trainer about more specifics on tower ops - it'll only help you out in the long run.

i guess i should have said it's hard giving 3 in trail when you're shooting 3 mile gaps between arrivals...BWI departs R10 and lands R33L for jets, 33R for smaller corp. aircraft and GA aircraft.  obviously you can do less than that...DCA tower will launch 2 a/c in a 4 mile hole between arrivals...all on the same runway! with Visual sept on the 2nd dept. of course.

Offline jmcmanna

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 12:14:01 PM »
Just scanning through the thread... BWI DOES have a radar. It's not a radar facility, but they do have a radar feed.

Justin

I think the point of this discussion was that BWI's tower was evacuated and they did not have a tower radar available from the temporary tower.