Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 05:12:59 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  Suspect in failed Times Square bombing pulled off UAE202 at JFK
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Suspect in failed Times Square bombing pulled off UAE202 at JFK  (Read 14921 times)
SkyPie

« on: May 04, 2010, 06:21:32 AM »

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. announced early Tuesday that an arrest had been made in the failed Times Square car bombing, saying that Faisal Shahzad, a 30-year-old American, was taken into custody at John F. Kennedy International Airport as he tried to fly to Dubai on Monday night.

UAE202 (FlightAware) was almost told to position on 22R before they were relayed a message to immediately return to the gate. They were directed to contact Emirates for details and the flight was later rescheduled for a ~1012Z departure.
englishpilot

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »

Thanks for posting: 

I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe.
athaker

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »

Nice job NYPD and Feds!  Talk about last possible moment...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:16:46 AM by athaker » Logged
rekno13

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »

That feels like a movie moment. Glad they caught him.
Detailed article from NYtimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/nyregion/05bomb.html?hp
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:24:01 PM by rekno13 » Logged
rationaljeff

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »

Funny I should check the forum first. Spent a half hour researching the Emirates flight schedule out of JFK and then went to the archives and pieced the same clip together you did. Pretty amazing the controller was in mid sentence to position and hold on 22R when she got the message.
glencar

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »

I worked last night & wondered why this plane was delayed 6 or 7 hours.
cptbrw

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »

Great that they got this guy.  But the question now is how he was able to board the plane after having supposedly been placed on the "no-fly" list several hours before the flight.  Reportedly he made his reservation while on the way to the airport and purchased his ticket with cash at JFK shortly before the flight. 
jaredbelch

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »

Good grab by the authorities.  My guess is that there is a delay from when you are added to the list and when the airline gets that info.  Otherwise yeah they should have nabbed him as soon as he got to the airport.
cptbrw

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 06:42:37 PM »

Actually, as it now appears, his name had been placed on some type of web-based system which the airport personnel failed to check and it's not clear how much responsibility they have to actually check that particular site.  It's also been reported that he was under FBI surveillance but they lost him at some point before he arrived at JFK.

Regardless of the shortcomings, it was still a good job to nab him before he got off the ground and that is certainly the most important part!
picci

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »

cool Smiley

thanks for posting the clip
iskyfly

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »

Actually, as it now appears, his name had been placed on some type of web-based system which the airport personnel failed to check and it's not clear how much responsibility they have to actually check that particular site.  It's also been reported that he was under FBI surveillance but they lost him at some point before he arrived at JFK.
Not quite.
He was put on the list the same day as the incident. The airlines list arent updated realtime.

Also, there was an AWACS over NY that intercepted his cell phone calls.

iskyfly

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »

A few seconds before the Tower controller clears Emirates onto 22R (and then immediately cancels the clearance), she cleared Delta 1154 for landing on runway 22L. If anyone has a full copy of the tower transmissions including any with DL1154. I'd like to hear them. All the video/audio I've seen is the same 1m27sec clip.
glencar

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:15 PM »

The reason for that is the 119.1 frequency was stopped as the tower frequency that night. They switched to 123.9.
bulgin

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »

The reason for that is the 119.1 frequency was stopped as the tower frequency that night. They switched to 123.9.

As a pilot is seems a little suspicious to me that the controller issues the command "..runway 22 right taxi position actually I have a message for you to go back to the gate immediately...", all stated in one breath without hesitation.  Normally in air traffic control and ground control communication protocol there would never be a last second interruption in the issuance of a command such as this because, the information needed to "taxi into position and hold" which is what the tower controller was about to say, would have already been "made up" in her mind and she spoke as though someone, last minute, shoved a piece of paper in front of her or that she received some emergency print out over-riding her command.  It just does not happen that way.  And if someone had "flagged her down" there would have been some type of hesitation in her voice, or at the very least, she would have said, "Emerates standby".  I'm presuming the "authorities" intentionally allowed this part of the case to unfold with this drama so as to create the impression that he narrowly escaped and through that drama, change the law regarding notification to airlines, and give some boost to the pressure from the Administration to switch notifications from the Secure Flight program to the TSA.
SirIsaac726

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »

As a pilot is seems a little suspicious to me that the controller issues the command "..runway 22 right taxi position actually I have a message for you to go back to the gate immediately...", all stated in one breath without hesitation.  Normally in air traffic control and ground control communication protocol there would never be a last second interruption in the issuance of a command such as this because, the information needed to "taxi into position and hold" which is what the tower controller was about to say, would have already been "made up" in her mind and she spoke as though someone, last minute, shoved a piece of paper in front of her or that she received some emergency print out over-riding her command.  It just does not happen that way.  And if someone had "flagged her down" there would have been some type of hesitation in her voice, or at the very least, she would have said, "Emerates standby".  I'm presuming the "authorities" intentionally allowed this part of the case to unfold with this drama so as to create the impression that he narrowly escaped and through that drama, change the law regarding notification to airlines, and give some boost to the pressure from the Administration to switch notifications from the Secure Flight program to the TSA.

As much as you say ATC just doesn't work that way, law enforcement doesn't work that way.  They aren't going to narrowly let a plane take off with a suspect in a terror threat just to dramatize the incident.  Heck, if the plane had just pushed from the gate, the news would be reporting it as "SUSPECT NARROWLY ESCAPES" as some outlets may be doing now.  They don't know the difference, nor do they care.  The news is the one to push the dramatization, not law enforcement.

Not trying to be rude but that is just ridiculous.  It could just be that the Tower Sup or whoever got the call and came over to tell the controller.

Regarding the "no-fly list," some radio news outlet near me is reporting that the policy was for the airlines to update their list every 24 hours, which would mean when he was added, the airline checked an outdated list.  That policy has since been changed to 2 hours.  However, I cannot promise how accurate that is.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:43:46 PM by SirIsaac726 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length