Author Topic: Suspect in failed Times Square bombing pulled off UAE202 at JFK  (Read 35912 times)

erau2006

Re: Suspect in failed Times Square bombing pulled off UAE202 at JFK
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »
Or she's just human like the rest of us and didn't immediately associate "aircraft on this message I received" with "aircraft I'm now handling" until she had said it aloud. I've certainly done that before and I'd imagine when your main focus is on safely working several aircraft at once, information from outside your normal, everyday work flow is probably not going to get the same mental treatment as information coming from the inbound aircraft that just contacted you or the flight strip you were just handed.

Or maybe someone just told her as she was issuing the clearance to the aircraft. So rather than saying standby, she just said everything in one sentence without hesitation.

And I doubt a print out was given to her to interupt her. Towers aren't as high tech as we would like them to be.

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »

Regarding the AWACS, I highly doubt that. 
Well then you would be wrong.

Offline avemg

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »

Regarding the AWACS, I highly doubt that.  
Well then you would be wrong.

Hate that my first post here has to be somewhat off-topic, but wouldn't the Posse Comitatus Act prohibit the military from operating AWACS over NYC? Assuming of course that any AWACS in the air would be military which, for all I know, isn't a safe assumption.

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »

Hate that my first post here has to be somewhat off-topic, but wouldn't the Posse Comitatus Act prohibit the military from operating AWACS over NYC? Assuming of course that any AWACS in the air would be military which, for all I know, isn't a safe assumption.
NATO operates the flights.

Offline avemg

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »

NATO operates the flights.

And NATO is a military organization, is it not? Unless you mean that a foreign member of NATO actually operates the flights which I suppose would technically skirt Posse Comitatus.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:07:35 PM by avemg »

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Unless you mean that a foreign member of NATO actually operates the flights
Yes.

Offline iskyfly

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »
but wouldn't the Posse Comitatus Act prohibit the military from operating AWACS over NYC?
Furthermore, I think Posse Comitatus (enacted in 1878, yes 18) is pretty much a "myth"

http://www.homelandsecurity.org/journal/articles/trebilcock.htm
The Posse Comitatus Act has traditionally been viewed as a major barrier to the use of U.S. military forces in planning for homeland defense.[1] In fact, many in uniform believe that the act precludes the use of U.S. military assets in domestic security operations in any but the most extraordinary situations. As is often the case, reality bears little resemblance to the myth for homeland defense planners. Through a gradual erosion of the act’s prohibitions over the past 20 years, posse comitatus today is more of a procedural formality than an actual impediment to the use of U.S. military forces in homeland defense.

Offline iadflight10

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 12:47:28 PM »
REgarding the Flight safety program and the no fly lists, if he was manually entered and not scanned by his avtual ticket the list would not have run his name til after the flight was closed and the aircraft was pushing back.  I have had isssues with this override ability with airline check ins for years.  I like everyone else just hope it is finally fixed (for real not just a front)...

CF118