Author Topic: Swa2371 aborted landing  (Read 10065 times)

Offline rxmonkey

Swa2371 aborted landing
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:36:22 AM »
Hi,
I was on SWA 2371 tonite, landing in San Diego. We were over the runway just about to touch down when the plane tilted slightly to the left, then they immediately pulled up and went around. The pilot came on the intercom saying something about wind from another plane? I'm just kind of curious as I've never experienced something like this before. Any audio available? Thanks!!

Offline flyflyfly

Re: Swa2371 aborted landing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:10:09 AM »
Audio attached. No big deal. They reported hitting a bit of wake turbulence. Indeed, tower had reported "winds calm", which is the situation where experiencing wake turbulence ist most likely (wind litterally blows any wake turbulence away, whereas no wind means the wake turbulence is almost stationary and only sinks slowly to the ground). Also, they were following SWA1481 (another Southwest 737, so both aircraft were the same size). SWA2371 reported the go around about 40 seconds after the preceding aircraft was told to leave the runway, so spacing was less than a minute, which also makes wake turbulence more likely.

Track recording:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA2371/history/20160102/0050Z/KPDX/KSAN

Offline KC2555

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:54:45 AM »
Go arounds happen for lots of reasons. I had one recently on a SW flight into PHL. Turned out there was a piece of fabric blowing across the runway. Abundance of caution keeps us all safe. But it does get your attention, that's for sure. Thankfully, we have LiveATC - a great place to find out why something  out of the ordinary happened. Thanks, Dave!

Offline rxmonkey

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »
Thanks so much for the info!