Author Topic: Syracuse JetBlue plane skids off Runway  (Read 18929 times)

Offline mhawke

Syracuse JetBlue plane skids off Runway
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:24:33 PM »
I hear a JetBlue plane skidded off the runway today at Syracuse.  Nasty weather here in western New York right now.

As soon as I can find a time I will go after the audio file.  If anyone has heard the time it happened, please let me know.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Syracuse JetBlue plane skids off Runway
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  A local TV station's website is reporting the incident as happening Sunday night, 10pm local time.

With this information, I searched FlightAware.com and discovered that the Orlando/SYR route is serviced by JetBlue 660, an Airbus 330, that arrived into SYR that night around 9:42pm.    LiveATC archives are in GMT so that would place the arrival in the 12/3/2007, 0242z archive.

I'll also take a listen there to see if there is a clip worthy of editing and posting.

Offline Vince717

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »
A Jet Blue (Flight #660) A320 slightly skidded off the Mike Taxiway after exiting runway 10 last night around 0245Z. You can pick up the action from the 0230-0300Z, Dec. 3 archives at about 20 minutes into the recording. They had a problem getting the A320 towed off with a Tug and needed to bring in the sand truck to help out. No injuries or damages as far as I could determine. They had to shut down Runway 10 for a while until they got the A320 moved. Inbound traffic was stacked up and the pilots sounded a little reluctant to land on the shorter open runway 15. When Runway 10 opened back up they all got in with no problems, reporting braking action as poor to good. US Airways Flight #1110 diverted to Pittsburgh instead of landing when they first shut down Runway 10.

Vince717

Offline Greg01

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »
Too many "3's" Peter! JBU has the 320's, not the big 330's.  ;)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »
Ok, interesting clip after all.  As Vince reported, the Jetblue aircraft did not skid off the runway.  Rather, the aircraft slid off a taxiway as it was exiting the runway.

Here is the taxi diagram and an annotation indicating the approximate location of the aircraft where it became stuck in the snow and ice:

The clip starts off with (coincidentally) another pilot asking for the weather forecast, then immediately picks up with the JBU check-in.  Clip ends with the USAirways aircraft accepting his clearance back to Pittsburgh.

Clip has been edited for time and some (but not a lot) of non-essential comms.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 06:58:47 PM »
Too many "3's" Peter! JBU has the 320's, not the big 330's.  ;)

Yep, my apologies for the typo.  I was doing too many tasks and not engaging the brain.

Offline Greg01

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
Don't worry about it...just giving you a hard time! ;)

Offline Vince717

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:02:10 PM »
I live about an hour east of Syracuse and I tuned into SYR last night at around 10:30 PM EST via LiveATC.net. I was listening until just after midnight. I heard at least one or two other Jet Blue A320's land without a problem after they reopened Runway 10. One of the JBU pilots said that they only have one person working in Operations at SYR on the midnight shift. You can hear them mention this when the stuck JBU pilot asks SYR ATC to call then on the Telephone as they cannot raise any body. They are forecasting more Wintery weather and Lake effect snow for SYR tonight. Should make for some interesting monitoring.

Vince

Offline dorishd

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:59:47 AM »
Just happened to look at FAA airport status yesterday, Monday, at around 5PM for the northeast, and Rochester had the black dot sitting there (closed airport). It was due to snow removal, about an hour.

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 11:03:55 PM »
Good catch. I work in base operations (airfield management) in Ohio ans we had to cancel all flights for the day on wednesday to to ice/snow. We spent between $8,000 to $12,000 just putting down de-icer on the runways/taxiways. I went out on the Airfield to do a RSC (Runway Surface Condition) check and everything was a solid sheet of ice.

Offline Vince717

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 10:49:36 AM »
During the KSYR Jet Blue 660 incident I remember hearing ATC ask Field Maintenance about putting down some de-icer. The reply was that it was raining and the de-icer would wash away. If I am correct the City of Syracuse maintains the Airport and Runways at KSYR.

Vince717