Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 08:17:20 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  TCX952P turns back to Manchester UK (EGCC) after smelling ash in the cockpit.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TCX952P turns back to Manchester UK (EGCC) after smelling ash in the cockpit.  (Read 12379 times)
sunburn

« on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »

TCX952P a Thomas Cook Boeing 757-28A call-sign Kestrel turned back to it's departure airport of Manchester after smelling ash in the cockpit. I missed the initial call reporting the problem, but I hit record when I spotted the turn back over on radarvirtuel.com

I've attached the audio from Manchester/Scottish control on 133.8 and on Manchester approach.

Hope you enjoy the slight rarity of a UK ATC recording. Smiley

.mark
Hollis

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »

Good catch. Very interesting.
Hopefully that will be the only incident with the volcanic ash, although I have my doubts.
At least they did the smart thing - a quick 180 and get the h*** out of it.
He reported a loss of compressor bleed air from one engine, which would indicate a pretty good ingestion of ash into the engines. Sounds like a couple of replacement engines might be in order.

ect76

EGPH

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »

Very nice clip Sunburn - Great to hear a clip from our neck of the woods.
I can pick up bits of Scottish control here, controllers and pilots on a couple of frequencies, but I'd love an external antenna so I could hear more. Unfortunately not possible when I live in a second floor flat in a four storey building. Sad I'd probably kill myself trying to put one up  grin
Cap747
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

Just wondering, I heard him say at the end there was no emergency, just a engine bleed problem, probably a stuck valve... so they didn't shut off that engine bleed by hand?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:47:23 AM by Cap747 » Logged
LOUBELLA

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:17:49 AM »

how do you get to hear it i am clicking on the link/attachment but cant seem to do it
sunburn

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »

Very nice clip Sunburn - Great to hear a clip from our neck of the woods.
I can pick up bits of Scottish control here, controllers and pilots on a couple of frequencies, but I'd love an external antenna so I could hear more. Unfortunately not possible when I live in a second floor flat in a four storey building. Sad I'd probably kill myself trying to put one up  grin

well, you gotta think about it this way. at least you're pretty high up already! maybe you should consider one of them desktop discones or one of them airblade antennas? i actually tried out one of them desktop discones and i was actually quite surprised.

how do you get to hear it i am clicking on the link/attachment but cant seem to do it

hm. you should be able to download it directly by clicking on the link and then the download box should open. if you have any trouble, send me a PM and i'll send it to you.

sunburn

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »

oh and of course, this little event was on the The Aviation Herald website.
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=42a697d8&opt=0
Casper87

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »

Offered an ATSOCA as well...they really must have been bored
englishpilot

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »

Link here from UK newspaper The Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2942884/UK-flight-is-aborted-after-pilot-smells-volcanic-ash.html

ATC Link:  http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/video/article300101.ece?vxSiteId=0bc72527-aa8e-4487-a5e8-94aae448c9dd&vxChannel=undefined&vxClipId=undefined&vxBitrate=300

I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe.
chrisfcarv

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »

I'm new and wanted to listen to your clip.  clicked on above files but nada.
englishpilot

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »

Click on the sun newspaper links I posted.

I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe.
sunburn

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »

yep. because the later part of the audio from the sun is MY recording instead of the supposed 'cockpit recordings'. ugh.

i'd request a copyright request if it wasn't you know... illegal. i'm not a fan of the sun. any other newspaper would of been fine mind you Smiley
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:07:52 PM by sunburn » Logged
ect76

EGPH

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 09:50:47 PM »

I've always been sceptical of the desktop discone antennas...I think I might give one a try though. Any recommendations? Got a Moonraker preamp as well, so hopefully should get reasonable results.
sunburn

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »

A friend let me have a go at one of these when i got my first scanner: http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29672

I was able to pick up the controllers on 133.8, plus london information and shanwick information. Plus a bunch of other freqs that had the pilots side of the communication. Not bad considering I live in the middle of nowhere with the nearest airport being 20+ miles away from me and VHF transmitter sites being 40+ miles.

Though as always it all depends on your particular location. I say give it a shot! Also if you buy it from Maplin you can always return it in store within 28 days if it turns out to be rubbish.
mrhahn

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »

yep. because the later part of the audio from the sun is MY recording instead of the supposed 'cockpit recordings'. ugh.

I did wonder when I first saw their article. Not exactly surprising though is it, considering the trash they print normally  grin
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length