airtraffic

Author Topic: TCX952P turns back to Manchester UK (EGCC) after smelling ash in the cockpit.  (Read 31058 times)

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
TCX952P a Thomas Cook Boeing 757-28A call-sign Kestrel turned back to it's departure airport of Manchester after smelling ash in the cockpit. I missed the initial call reporting the problem, but I hit record when I spotted the turn back over on radarvirtuel.com

I've attached the audio from Manchester/Scottish control on 133.8 and on Manchester approach.

Hope you enjoy the slight rarity of a UK ATC recording. :)

.mark

Offline Hollis

Good catch. Very interesting.
Hopefully that will be the only incident with the volcanic ash, although I have my doubts.
At least they did the smart thing - a quick 180 and get the h*** out of it.
He reported a loss of compressor bleed air from one engine, which would indicate a pretty good ingestion of ash into the engines. Sounds like a couple of replacement engines might be in order.

Offline ect76

• EGPH
Very nice clip Sunburn - Great to hear a clip from our neck of the woods.
I can pick up bits of Scottish control here, controllers and pilots on a couple of frequencies, but I'd love an external antenna so I could hear more. Unfortunately not possible when I live in a second floor flat in a four storey building. :( I'd probably kill myself trying to put one up  :-D

Cap747

Just wondering, I heard him say at the end there was no emergency, just a engine bleed problem, probably a stuck valve... so they didn't shut off that engine bleed by hand?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:47:23 AM by Cap747 »

Offline LOUBELLA

how do you get to hear it i am clicking on the link/attachment but cant seem to do it

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
Very nice clip Sunburn - Great to hear a clip from our neck of the woods.
I can pick up bits of Scottish control here, controllers and pilots on a couple of frequencies, but I'd love an external antenna so I could hear more. Unfortunately not possible when I live in a second floor flat in a four storey building. :( I'd probably kill myself trying to put one up  :-D

well, you gotta think about it this way. at least you're pretty high up already! maybe you should consider one of them desktop discones or one of them airblade antennas? i actually tried out one of them desktop discones and i was actually quite surprised.

how do you get to hear it i am clicking on the link/attachment but cant seem to do it

hm. you should be able to download it directly by clicking on the link and then the download box should open. if you have any trouble, send me a PM and i'll send it to you.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
oh and of course, this little event was on the The Aviation Herald website.
http://www.avherald.com/h?article=42a697d8&opt=0

Offline Casper87

Offered an ATSOCA as well...they really must have been bored

Offline chrisfcarv

I'm new and wanted to listen to your clip.  clicked on above files but nada.

Offline englishpilot

Click on the sun newspaper links I posted.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
yep. because the later part of the audio from the sun is MY recording instead of the supposed 'cockpit recordings'. ugh.

i'd request a copyright request if it wasn't you know... illegal. i'm not a fan of the sun. any other newspaper would of been fine mind you :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:07:52 PM by sunburn »

Offline ect76

• EGPH
I've always been sceptical of the desktop discone antennas...I think I might give one a try though. Any recommendations? Got a Moonraker preamp as well, so hopefully should get reasonable results.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
A friend let me have a go at one of these when i got my first scanner: http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29672

I was able to pick up the controllers on 133.8, plus london information and shanwick information. Plus a bunch of other freqs that had the pilots side of the communication. Not bad considering I live in the middle of nowhere with the nearest airport being 20+ miles away from me and VHF transmitter sites being 40+ miles.

Though as always it all depends on your particular location. I say give it a shot! Also if you buy it from Maplin you can always return it in store within 28 days if it turns out to be rubbish.

Offline mrhahn

yep. because the later part of the audio from the sun is MY recording instead of the supposed 'cockpit recordings'. ugh.

I did wonder when I first saw their article. Not exactly surprising though is it, considering the trash they print normally  :-D

Offline ect76

• EGPH
I must be reasonably close to a transmitter site (Dundee Area) because I can clearly get controllers and traffic on two Scottish Control freqs (Not sure which two they are just now, don't have scanner to hand!). It's just a shame they're not particularly busy frequencies. Also, Dundee Airport is almost visible from my flat window so obviously picking up Dundee Airport traffic isn't an issue.
I hear a fair but of US -> Europe traffic passing overhead but controllers are faint if at all.
I think I will give that a try from Maplin and see how I get on.

Cheers for the advice!

Offline Casper87

Sunburn,

Any chance of more Manch Approach & Scottish recordings?

C

Offline ect76

• EGPH
Seconded. I could also get some Scottish Control recordings if anyone's interested. Won't be anything out the ordinary though - Just normal traffic.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
Sunburn,

Any chance of more Manch Approach & Scottish recordings?

C

Yep sure thing. I'll do some recordings during the week (maybe Monday) when the traffic is at it's heaviest. But unfortunately I can't get the controller on Manchester approach. I'm just a little bit too far for that.

I may set up for RAF Waddington tower/approach, Scottish/Manchester Sub-sector (133.8 ), EMA Approach/Tower, Sector 11 North Sea, London Info/Shanwick Info and leave it recording. All of these I can get both Pilot/Controller conversations.

.mark

Offline ect76

• EGPH
I'll do the same. I'm off Sunday and Monday so I'll see what I can put together. If it's crap then I won't post, but if it's respectable I'll bang it up for what it's worth!

Ewan.

Offline Casper87

Good work chaps.

RAF Waddy would be certainly be something different, do you know all of the radar frequencies? I.e Approach/Zone/Director

chris