airtraffic

Author Topic: Teaching the Circuit with a stuck mike  (Read 24776 times)

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
Teaching the Circuit with a stuck mike
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:37:08 PM »
This was caught on Toronto Centre feed at around 1556 today. The aircraft was in a ciruict for toronto city centre airport and had his mike stuck for a *very* long time.

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 04:42:21 PM by bcrosby »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Teaching the Circuit with a stuck mike
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 04:50:40 PM »
Sounds like CFI training.   

It must be hard for ATC to be in that position, although I can recall at least one time at my local airport where ATC's side was the stuck mike.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:37:28 AM »
It's a scary feeling when that happens and you're busy.  I've had this happen to me several times while working in the tower, and usually the smart pilots in the air will switch one of their coms to Ground freq until the stuck mic problem is resolved.  I know it's not really by the book but having some aircraft on a wrong frequency is better than having all of them on a blocked frequency.

Offline ozziecat35

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »
The aero club I fly out of here in Korea has us set up to switch to Guard in that case...It happened about a month ago, with noone able to communicate, A military pilot will automatically switch over, but us Cessna drivers wouldn't have automatically thought of that....good to know in any case though

Offline canuck101

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 11:15:02 AM »
Sounds like CFI training.

That's not our CFI, but it is a Class I instructor training a student.
This aircraft is from the flying school I work at. Don't think we have any problems on the radio with this one :?

Offline canuck101

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »
And today the radio broke.

Nice catch!  :mrgreen:

Offline mtlatc

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:55:41 PM »
The aero club I fly out of here in Korea has us set up to switch to Guard in that case...

OSAN???

LE

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 04:30:17 PM »
That's not our CFI, but it is a Class I instructor training a student.
This aircraft is from the flying school I work at. Don't think we have any problems on the radio with this one :?

I recall having a case of "lock-finger" on the yoke-mounted mike switch once early in my training.   

Fortunately the Bendix-King radio in the C172SP in which I was training had a feature that stopped transmitting after 30 seconds of an open mike.

Offline Love_To_Fly

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »
That's too funny!  Hope it doesn't happen to me when I go for my lesson in 1 hour!! lol

Offline ozziecat35

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 03:57:50 AM »
The aero club I fly out of here in Korea has us set up to switch to Guard in that case...

OSAN???

LE

one in the same....gotta love the smell of Korean pig farms in the summer while trolling along at 95 knots.

Offline RayZor

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:32:03 PM »
Hope nobody minds me renewing the life of this thread.  I just have a quick question:  Stuck mikes seem to be fairly common, so how often is it that they occur in extremely busy areas, say for example, PHL or BOS approach, or even a center.  Are controllers taught how to handle such a situation.  Things could turn very messy if there was a sudden loss of radio communications for everyone on the frequency.  I imagine it would be difficult to figure out which light signal would apply to which aircraft.  Anyway, as a pilot, what should be done in such a situation?  Change to the ground frequency, or the tower, as other posters in this thread have said? 

Offline Slim1121

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 11:51:30 AM »
Does this a/c look familiar Ozziecat??

Offline mtlatc

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 11:40:38 PM »
One more renew a WP bird and and a POS....Typhoon???

Offline BigQ

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »
funny, that instructor sounds exactly like one i have here, who instructed at City Centre -at that time - but now works for Sault College....