airtraffic

Author Topic: TRS255 Birdstike at FNT  (Read 9102 times)

Offline StuSEL

TRS255 Birdstike at FNT
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »
AirTran Flight 255 encountered a flock of birds after departing Runway 27 at Flint (FNT) on Friday, October 23, 2009. The pilot declared an emergency with Flint Departure. With Flint's Airport Rescue Team standing by, the Boeing 737-700 made a successful landing. Kudos to the Flint radar controller and all those at FNT for a job well done. It sounds like one bird won't be making it south for the winter  :P.
--
The Flint Journal: Bird delays AirTran flight from Bishop Airport
Flight Aware: TRS255
LiveATC Archive: attached below

Offline gatorbuc99

Re: TRS255 Birdstike at FNT
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
Must have been a pretty new controller, she's uh...a little rattled. The boys are busy, you gotta help 'em out..askin things like "is 18.3 in pounds?" Sheesh...

TC

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »
I don't hear "rattled" at all.  I hear a controller who's very busy herself and handles the emergency with care and calm.  TRS even says "we appreciate your help" so he musta been satisfied.  There are undoubtedly many other things she's doing off freq, coordinating with other controllers, getting repeated queries about the fuel and SOB's, etc.  It would've been helpful if TRS had answered the question with proper phraseology, but he didn't and that's perhaps understandable.  She verified it in order to give this crucial info to the ARFF.

Offline zacek

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
I agree.  Working tower, ground, and no doubt on the phone with approach stopping arrivals simultaneously, she sounds professional and calm.  She asked the right questions, and didn't hound them when they said "standby" or didn't answer.

Offline snipper_cr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:24:55 AM »
I would say that was a very seasoned controller - not new in the slightest! Her initial instructions after the emergency deceleration were very clear, cool and confident. She is trying to collect alot of information and it sort of sounds like the pilot snaps at her at one point with his "stand by." I see that just as two people trying to do their jobs in a very stressful situation.

Great capture and glad it worked out.