airtraffic

Author Topic: Two ILS approaches in IMC with ATC communications - Video  (Read 12999 times)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
Two ILS approaches in IMC with ATC communications - Video
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:55 AM »
Yesterday was a great day for knocking out approaches.  Had stopped in flight school to socialize before flying and CFI was bored to tears since he had to cancel VFR students, so he came along for the ride. 

Launched into 1000 foot ceilings and ceilings at Hawkins Jackson KHKS was 1200 foot.  KJAN approach and KHKS tower ATC comms included in video.   

The above video is an outside view of my first ILS approach.  You will hear me talk my way down as well as ATC communications

Second video

is the 2nd approach into HKS of only the instrument panel starting from the outer marker. This video is best viewed in full screen.  Note, first part of the video, audio doesn't match the heading on DG as the camera wasn't rolling on my clearance.. 

Instructor videod this approach and you will hear me "talk my way down"

As always, comments most welcomed here or on video!!!

Offline mhawke

Re: Two ILS approaches in IMC with ATC communications - Video
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
Nice videos.

These make a non-pilot, frequent passenger like me want to pilot a plane.

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »
These make a non-pilot, frequent passenger like me want to pilot a plane.

8-)

Offline Robert Larson

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »
Thanks for these. I hope to start my training sometime this year. Right now I'm flying vicarioulsy with you.

Watching your first vid I kept thinking... this would be really great if he would do a shot of the panel... and my wish was answered. I hope you're not panning the camera on final. :)

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:14:40 PM »
Thanks for these. I hope to start my training sometime this year. Right now I'm flying vicarioulsy with you.

I sure appreciate the compliments. 

You have tons and tons of valuable resources here, don't hesitate to tap into them when your training goes full tilt.

Watching your first vid I kept thinking... this would be really great if he would do a shot of the panel... and my wish was answered. I hope you're not panning the camera on final. :)

Oh no, when I am by myself, camera remains on the glareshield for takeoffs and landings.  Somebody has to man the shop, so camera is secondary when I fly.  In this flight, the passenger held the camera for the panel shot and at the middle marker, I asked him to show outside.

I have my continuation return flight home that I am compiling that I will post to this thread which is the VOR Alpha approach and includes canceling my IFR on the ground (ceilings were too low for in air cancellation).  Not often that I have to wait til I land that his happens as I much rather be a good neighbor cancel in the air to clear up the airspace.

Offline beechsundowner

• Flights
VOR Alpha into KMBO with ATC COMS - Video
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »
Last leg of my Friday flight. 

KJAN approach and clearance delivery for cancellation of my IFR at my uncontrolled airport in the video. 

It was my last approach so I was "lazy" and requested vectors rather then execute the full procedure.

I talked my way through the approach in this video.  Waiting for that "from flag" on Nav1 feels like forever sometimes :-)))

Video doesn't do the shear beauty of being between the layer of clouds the justice that is due!