airtraffic

Author Topic: UAL628 makes bad landing at KORD  (Read 27126 times)

Offline Hollis

UAL628 makes bad landing at KORD
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:55:19 AM »
UAL628 landed hard, blew a tire and went off the runway.
Pilot not too happy about it!

Offline jonnevin

Offline lostmoon

Re: UAL628 makes bad landing at KORD
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »
did he say "bitch" at the end? Was that in response to someone saying something?

Offline TheRagePro

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 03:01:49 PM »
Someone did say "Bitch" though, wouldnt you?

Offline CAL764

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »
ya, that can't be good...it almost does sound like "bitch," yet i could be mistaken

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »
Sounds like the radio is scanning and we're picking up bits and pieces of different conversations.  ORD has several bridges as taxiways.  The last word sounds like bridge

Offline Hollis

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:05:22 PM »
The word used was indeed 'bitch'.
What would you have said after making a hard landing, blowing a tire, then yawing off the runway onto the grass?

Offline PDC

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
The word is "RIDGE".  It's the Outer Marker for RW22R, and AAL1406 is reporting in to the tower ("American 1406, RIDGE", except the recording only picked up "RIDGE").

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0710/00166IL22R.PDF

Offline Hollis

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 01:31:19 PM »
You could be correct. However, in checking both the voice tone and the sound waveforms, the wave patterns of 'bitch' vs. 'ridge' don't match too closely. 'Ridge' vs. 'ridge' does though. Listen again for comparison:

Offline United B-777

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 06:05:41 AM »
FOR THOSE OF YOU who read this press release...and might have felt it was the pilots fault (as I am sure it was designed to make you and the traveling public)...here is the rest of story.

These guys are heroes. They saved a hull. THAT is the REAL story. This was all caused by UAL lovely contract maintenance. After a "normal landing" the auto brakes only grabbed on ONE side...sending the airplane swerving off the paved surface and into the grass and possible taxiing traffic.

The quick reaction and thinking of the UNITED AIRLINES PILOT at the control....disconnected the auto brakes ...and stabilized the hard turning of the airplane....sending it back on course and saving it from an almost sure ground high speed ground loop and a wing tip cart wheel. ...possibly killing a lot of people.

Think the press will bother with "the details" now that they are out? And correct this terrible story?

I just read this in another message board and wanted to inform you guys! The source is reliable as the guy who wrote it is a Pilot (ex-UAL) himself...

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:10:21 AM »
Allow me a short disclaimer saying I know nothing about the systems of this aircraft and this is pure speculation (hey, this is the internet, right?).  I would think that any autobrake system would have a fail-safe condition that would require all brakes to be applied with the same force, and if any asymmetrical braking would occur the system would fail itself, leaving the braking to be done by the pilots......

Offline Hollis

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »
For the record, this is from the FAA preliminary accident report:

"N431UA, UNITED AIRLINES FLIGHT 628, AN AIRBUS A320 AIRCRAFT, LANDED HARD, BLEW A RIGHT MAIN TIRE, WENT OFF THE RUNWAY, RE-ENTERED THE RUNWAY AND TAXIED TO THE GATE. TWO PERSONS ON BOARD SUSTAINED UNKNOWN INJURIES, DAMAGE TO THE AIRCRAFT SUBSTANTIAL."

Offline MrMac

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Do tires blow out ONLY on bad landings?

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 03:54:36 PM »
Many factors can make a tire go down or blow out. It can happen on take off or landing. Usually they are replaced before they can blow from being worn out. They can run over debris on runways or taxiways, puncturing the tire and causing a blow out on takeoff or landing when the loads are highest on the tires. It sounds to me that if this was an autobrake failure on one side that there was an incredible side load placed on the tire. I imagine it was pulled away from the rim causing it to fail. Kudos to the pilots for recognizing the situation and saving lives and a frame.

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
Do tires blow out ONLY on bad landings?

I've sure never blown any on any good landings.  But they are so rare, who knows.....

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 04:52:20 AM »
Hey cessna you didnt say if you ever blew one out on a bad landing though. :evil:

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 08:56:41 AM »
Hey cessna you didnt say if you ever blew one out on a bad landing though. :evil:

I'll leave that to your imagination......

My airplane has 6 tires, 4 on the mains.  Now come on, the chances of blowing at least one out......That's what the other 3 are for, isn't it?

Offline KASWspotter

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 12:52:04 AM »
Ill take those odds anyday. Keep flyin safe. Take care and happy holidays.