airtraffic

Author Topic: UPS 844 Heavy Near KSLC Engine Shut Down In Flight  (Read 13639 times)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
UPS 844 Heavy Near KSLC Engine Shut Down In Flight
« on: February 24, 2010, 03:52:13 PM »
Nice job by crew and controllers! Below is the audio for this incident, all dead air and other chatter edited out.

"A UPS Airbus A300-600, freight flight 5X-844 from Louisville,KY to Salt Lake City,UT (USA) with 2 crew, was on approach to Salt Lake City and was just in transfer from Center to Approach frequency, when the crew aborted their initial contact with Approach in the middle of their own call sign and then declared emergency about 30 seconds later reporting they had to shut the right hand engine down due to a "lock light". The crew continued to Salt Lake City for a safe landing on runway 16L and taxied to the apron.

UPS said, that the engine was shut down as a precaution following an indication, that the crew could not clear."

http://avherald.com/h?article=427c3c0c&opt=1

The tail number for the aircraft involved hasn't been released yet, but below is UPS Airbus A300F4-622R N165UP (cn 854), just for those who may not be familiar with the A300-600.  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:23:00 PM by joeyb747 »

Offline mrhahn

Re: UPS 844 Heavy Near KSLC Engine Shut Down In Flight
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:24:18 PM »
Wow, just read about this on AVHerald, came here to find the audio and bam... you've already edited it! Great job  :-D

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:30:56 PM »
Wow, just read about this on AVHerald, came here to find the audio and bam... you've already edited it! Great job  :-D

Thanks!  8-)

Offline speedotann

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »
Nice one Joey!!  :-o

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
Great post! You could tell the adrenaline was pumping. 

Offline hanzieb2001

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »
Noob question here, but "lock light"???

Offline Hollis

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
My guess is that it was TR (thrust reverse) lock indicator light. Either a faulty indicator or the clamshells unlocked, hence the shutdown.

KHAOS

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:56:01 PM »
Saw this bird in person on the ramp yesterday.

Tail # is N120UP.

When I got into work, I thought it was kind of odd to see a plane already on the ramp.  We had heard about the mechanical issue, and the a/c was kept overnight while it was being fixed.  They had to fly a crew in on UPS #2844 to come take it out at 6pm last night.  The crew didn't report any issues during pushback and start, and everything worked as advertised when I marshalled it out.  

In the second picture, you'll notice a couple of the orange pylons are tipped over from the engine runup that was done earlier in the afternoon.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:58:08 PM by KHAOS »

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
My guess would as well be Thrust Reverser Lock Light...

Nice pics KHAOS!! I was hoping you were going to chime in on this one!  :wink:

Thanks for posting them!!  8-)

KHAOS

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
My guess would as well be Thrust Reverser Lock Light...

Nice pics KHAOS!! I was hoping you were going to chime in on this one!  :wink:

Thanks for posting them!!  8-)
No prob.  8-)

I'm not good for much, but at least there are some things.  Haha.

I was thinking it was just a lock light as well.  This is a fairly common problem from what I've witnessed.   This one's probably the 3rd or 4th time it's happened to one of our jets in my 2 years on the ramp.  However, it's the first time I've seen the crew perform a shutdown and do a single engine approach.

My dad is an MD-11F Captain for a different airline, and had a similar experience last year.  About 200 miles out from KFK, inbound from EDDF, a lock light came on steadily after flickering intermittently across the Atlantic.  The #1 engine wasn't shut down, but rather pulled back to idle, and a single engine out approach was performed. 

Other than reverser related emergencies I've personally seen, a couple months ago, an A300 performed a no-slats / partial-flaps landing (his brakes were smoking when he pulled in to park btw) after a go-around.  Another emergency happened last year when an SA-227 Metroliner III came in after losing an engine on final approach.  With that one, I was the marshaller bringing him in, and as soon as he stopped, in quick succession, his engine caught on fire twice momentarily.  I almost had to give him the fire signal on that one..

But I digress...awesome job on catching the feed btw.  :-)