Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 12:41:53 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  US Airways 1549 Audio.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Airways 1549 Audio.  (Read 36535 times)
sunburn

« on: February 05, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »

http://www.faa.gov/data_statistics/accident_incident/1549/

Been released today.

All audio and transcripts are on the link.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:32:32 AM by sunburn » Logged
eppy

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »

sad Thanks very much for the links, but wish the techies at FAA would understand that radio recordings are 'lo-fi' and can be saved as MP3 at low bit rate/file size. The recordings are ENOURMOUS.

They should look at LiveATC.net for best practice on how to do it  grin
englishpilot

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »

sad Thanks very much for the links, but wish the techies at FAA would understand that radio recordings are 'lo-fi' and can be saved as MP3 at low bit rate/file size. The recordings are ENOURMOUS.

They should look at LiveATC.net for best practice on how to do it  grin

Matey, you're talking about America.  Bigger's always better, right?!

I don't proclaim to be the best pilot in the world but I'm safe.
ckleitsch

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »

You can pick up the flight at 6:18 of the first clip (2025:51 according to the transcript) when cleared from 7 to 1500.
The brid strike call comes in about 7:56 into the clip (2027:36 transcript).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:39:49 PM by ckleitsch » Logged
athaker

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »

The cab audio also has a lot of action.  Gives you an idea of how many different people, airports, and services coordinated this emergency
wannafly

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:34:01 PM »

Here is a composite, starting with ATIS up through loss of communication.  My first post and edit here, but I've enjoyed everyone else's posts for quite some time.  Glad to finally be able to post something.
SkanknTodd

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »

on the cab coordinator tapes, the coordinator ends several communications with other people by saying "mike whiskey."  anyone know what that means?
w0x0f

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »

operating initials.  required when ending landline coordination.
Adrian8

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »

Cab coordinator is chilling audio.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:35:55 AM by Adrian8 » Logged
djmodifyd
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

operating initials.  required when ending landline coordination.

correct...although why he doesn't say "MW" i don't know
i just say "DJ"

mkop

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »

Why were only some of the landline communciations ended this way? (Unless I missed something, but I specifically noticed that.)
w0x0f

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »

Why were only some of the landline communications ended this way? (Unless I missed something, but I specifically noticed that.)

Just my guess, but they had more important things to be concerned with than saying operating initials.  I can tell you from experience, you eliminate unimportant tasks when time is of the essence and lives are at stake. 

Stating operating initials can be eliminated on intrafacility coordination if certain technology is available.  It is still required on interfacility coordination.

This controller did a helluva job doing all of his own coordination with LGA and TEB under extraordinary circumstances.  N90 is critically staffed and can't always open the handoff positions which normally would do such coordination.  He was rewarded immediately after this by the FAA with a drug test.  I'm sure the FAA will also make note of the nonstandard phraseology, incorrect callsigns, although AWE 1549 answered each time, and the absence of operating initials on the landline calls to LGA and TEB.  That's the kind of appreciation he gets from his employer.

NATCA should nominate him for the Archie League Award. 

w0x0f 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:33:02 AM by w0x0f » Logged
BWilliams

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:26 AM »

Here is a composite, starting with ATIS up through loss of communication.  My first post and edit here, but I've enjoyed everyone else's posts for quite some time.  Glad to finally be able to post something.

Amazing ... CNN actually used a cut-down version of this composite for their broadcast. ( http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/05/1549.voice.recorder.tape/ )

I thought it sounded extremely familiar, and I listened to both at the same time, and the timing is right on between the transmissions, except for where they cut out certain sections.

Nice work, wannafly!
djmodifyd
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »

Why were only some of the landline communications ended this way? (Unless I missed something, but I specifically noticed that.)

Just my guess, but they had more important things to be concerned with than saying operating initials.  I can tell you from experience, you eliminate unimportant tasks when time is of the essence and lives are at stake. 

Stating operating initials can be eliminated on intrafacility coordination if certain technology is available.  It is still required on interfacility coordination.

This controller did a helluva job doing all of his own coordination with LGA and TEB under extraordinary circumstances.  N90 is critically staffed and can't always open the handoff positions which normally would do such coordination.  He was rewarded immediately after this by the FAA with a drug test.  I'm sure the FAA will also make note of the nonstandard phraseology, incorrect callsigns, although AWE 1549 answered each time, and the absence of operating initials on the landline calls to LGA and TEB.  That's the kind of appreciation he gets from his employer.

w0x0f 
This is so true.  The FAA is just going to screw them....ive seen it before.

and i agree with Archie League Award full on
athaker

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »

w0x0f 

Well stated. 

To put it more bluntly, the 160,000lb glider (I would hope) takes priority over minutiae.... this drug test business is ridiculous. I mean, look how fast these guys cleared airspace and pavement for the cactus...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length