Author Topic: USAF - Unknown aircraft 200 east ACY Mode 3/A  (Read 12155 times)

Offline Wolfala

USAF - Unknown aircraft 200 east ACY Mode 3/A
« on: November 19, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
Overheard on victor guard today - taken from my CVR.

Part 1 and Part 2

Offline StuSEL

Re: USAF - Unknown aircraft 200 east ACY Mode 3/A
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:30:41 AM »
Geez. This is so loud!

Offline K5PAT

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »
Is the lousy audio coming from them or is it your equipment?  I could barely understand the message.  Nevertheless it would certainly increase my pucker factor!!

Offline esv216

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 02:35:24 PM »
If he's 200 NM east of Atlantic City he's operating VFR in a National Defense Operating Area. They're trying to figure out who he is. He's still outside the US ADIZ, but if he were to make a turn toward U.S. airspace without identifying himself he might get to see an F-18 Hornet up close!

Offline jshannon

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
If he's 200 NM east of Atlantic City he's operating VFR in a National Defense Operating Area. They're trying to figure out who he is. He's still outside the US ADIZ, but if he were to make a turn toward U.S. airspace without identifying himself he might get to see an F-18 Hornet up close!

This confuses me (though it seems to agree with the audio). If he was 200 nm east of ACY, then he was WAY outside the ADIZ, which I generally think are at like 15m. It looks like he'd be between the NENDA and LARGE fixes, which is way outside the ADIZ, and even relatively far from the W areas. Also, they said he was heading ~50 degrees, which is pointed away.

I don't have any experience with intl flights, so I'm truly curious...

James

Offline Fred_Garvin

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »
The ADIZ Air Defense Identification Zone is not the border, it is a zone defined by a country where an aircraft is subject to interception if not cleared into the zone before hand

Offline pilot698

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »
The ADIZ varies in size and location though it generally surrounds the east and west coasts. In the area where this incident occurs the ADIZ starts several miles offshore and ends several hundred miles offshore. I also have to point out that a clearance is not required to fly within an ADIZ. There however is a requirement to file an IFR or DVFR flight plan so that the military has the information available to positively identify all expected traffic within the ADIZ.