Author Topic: VRD762 emerg divert KDFW rudder control problem 2016-10-27  (Read 7113 times)

Offline oktalist

VRD762 emerg divert KDFW rudder control problem 2016-10-27
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:06:09 PM »
Virgin America Airbus A319-100 experienced a rudder control problem on departure from Dallas Love Field and diverted to Fort Worth, with some initial confusion with ATC over which airport they were returning to.

http://avherald.com/h?article=49feec47

Offline Close@Hand

Re: VRD762 emerg divert KDFW rudder control problem 2016-10-27
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:30:30 PM »
The pilot initially requests vectors back to Dallas Love, but a few seconds later in the recording he formally declares an emergency and requests immediate vectors back to Fort Worth (for the extra runway length).  I think the pilot only realized the issue because there is no ILS approach to 13L at DFW. It feels like this could have been a lot worse than it was. Not an insignificant miss by ATC. If they had given him 13R he might have executed an approach on 13R at Love Field.

Nothing personal, the protocols are designed so that both sides make sure comms are clear and confirmed.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:32:12 PM by Close@Hand »

Offline ftlurker

Re: VRD762 emerg divert KDFW rudder control problem 2016-10-27
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
The pilot initially requests vectors back to Dallas Love, but a few seconds later in the recording he formally declares an emergency and requests immediate vectors back to Fort Worth (for the extra runway length).  I think the pilot only realized the issue because there is no ILS approach to 13L at DFW. It feels like this could have been a lot worse than it was. Not an insignificant miss by ATC. If they had given him 13R he might have executed an approach on 13R at Love Field.

Nothing personal, the protocols are designed so that both sides make sure comms are clear and confirmed.

I agree with your interpretation of how this happened. And yet, as I listen again and again, everyone followed protocol. Which is what scary!  it was just that during readback, the field was mentioned only intermittently and when it was mentioned it was overlooked by a busy crew or ATC.

Whoa! This is one that the ATC/FAA/NTSB should review to avoid this happening again.