Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 09:08:56 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: NEW Follow LiveATC updates on Twitter and Facebook

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  What's abeam mean?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's abeam mean?  (Read 20429 times)
IndyTower

« on: September 27, 2005, 12:29:38 PM »

Felt kinda bad for both the pilot and the controller...but more the controller.  LAF was pretty busy and they don't have radar...doesn't make things easy.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 03:12:59 PM by IndyTower » Logged
davolijj

MMAC ARSR OKC

wow
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »

Yikes...I hate being a participant in situations like that.

Regards
JD
nfredrich

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 05:13:35 PM »

DERRRRRRRRRRRRR! pilot must have went to the "Helen Keller pilot training academy"

Nick Fredrich
Jason

CFI/CFII

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 11:33:46 PM »

Abeam?  **I don't have any beams in here, do I?**

It sure happens to the best of us  cheesy I think the pilot did a fantastic job by asking for clarifications.  Many aviation related accidents have been caused by miscommunication and obviously this pilot was concerned and asked for the clarification.  I commend this pilot for doing so, it is an action that should be taken by many more when in doubt.
Neil

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 01:20:58 PM »

Interesting...The pilots tone is one of "whatever you say, bud. Thats foreign to me..." haha. The controller doing a fine job here...

digger

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 02:28:49 PM »

The term is nautical in origin and I'm sure it was being used well before Wilbur and Orville's time. The pilot mustn't have a very broad vocabulary to begin with.

It's interesting that the controller kept using the word "abeam", even after it was apparent the pilot had no clue what it meant. The lack of understanding kinda serves to illustrate that controllers should be prepared to *temporarily* abandon standard ATC phraseology if that's what it takes to communicate. (Although, I guess, for a busy controller it would probably take a minute to sink in that the pilot you're talking to is not equipped to speak the language of air traffic control.)
davolijj

MMAC ARSR OKC

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 04:49:04 PM »

I'm not crazy about "abeam the airport" as a reporting point anyway.  The 7110.65 says to use prominent geographic fixes, preferably those depicted on sectional charts.  This does not preclude the use of the standard legs of a traffic pattern.

Personally I like to use range/bearing points if there are no landmarks available,  like "report 3 miles west, " or "report due north of the airport."

Regards
JD
C172SP

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 07:05:54 PM »

first time i heard this, i thought "whoa, this guy isn't so bright." After all, how many times do we say "Cessna 123 is abeam the numbers." No brainer right?

But this is the first time I've heard a controller say "north abeam, south abeam, west abeam," etc. Having put some thought into it, I think I know what the controller meant. Not sure I would've figured it out while trying to talk, fly and do photo work all at once.

Thanks for the clip... made us all think.
digger

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005, 09:04:44 AM »

...the pilot you're talking to is not equipped to speak the language of air traffic control...

I'll have to qualify my own statement, based on further resaerch. I asked my wife, and have been informed that "abeam", regardless of how often it's used, is not part of standard ATC phraseology.
davolijj

MMAC ARSR OKC

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2005, 10:05:25 AM »

ABEAM- An aircraft is "abeam" a fix, point, or object when that fix, point, or object is approximately 90 degrees to the right or left of the aircraft track. Abeam indicates a general position rather than a precise point.

Pilot/Controller Glossary - A-1

Regards
JD
Jason

CFI/CFII

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 10:17:37 AM »

Quote from: davolijj
ABEAM- An aircraft is "abeam" a fix, point, or object when that fix, point, or object is approximately 90 degrees to the right or left of the aircraft track. Abeam indicates a general position rather than a precise point.

Pilot/Controller Glossary - A-1

I'm surprised the controller did not the phrase, "perpendicular to" when clarifying to the pilot.
digger

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 12:44:26 PM »

So, to boil this down, the pilot should have known the meaning of the term, because it listed in the Pilot/Controller Glossary, but it's not part of the standard "phraseology" unless it's prescribed in 7110.65P. Would that be a fair summation?

I'm surprised they do not use the phrase, "perpendicular to"

I tnink I'd go with "off your wing tip".
KSYR-pjr

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 02:14:08 PM »

Quote from: C172SP
But this is the first time I've heard a controller say "north abeam, south abeam, west abeam," etc. Having put some thought into it, I think I know what the controller meant. Not sure I would've figured it out while trying to talk, fly and do photo work all at once.

This is also the first time I have heard a controller use "report N/S/E/W abeam the field."  

I assume this clip was from a class D airport and every controller at a class D airport I have ever flown in or near uses either a distance/position ("report 3 miles east of the airport/report over the river") or part of the traffic pattern ("report 2 mile left base for rwy XX").

Using the definition that abeam means "90 degrees off a point" and recall that the pilot was initially asked to report "abeam the field," then it is understandable that he replied as he did.  Technically his aircraft is always 90 degrees from the airport reference point, no matter what bearing the airport was in relation to his position.

Regards, Peter
ATC Feed:  Syracuse (KSYR), NY
digger

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 09:06:05 PM »

________> _______    aircraft A      

...............X..............

________> __* _____  aircraft B

................0......Y...........

Aircraft A is abeam point X. Aircraft B is not yet abeam point Y, but it will be when it reaches the *. It is now abeam point O.

Technically his aircraft is always 90 degrees from the airport reference point, no matter what bearing the airport was in relation to his position.

...90 degrees to the right or left of the aircraft track .

Having drawn the picture, I have to agree that the definition is somewhat ambiguous. Speaking in terms of geometry, all those points are 90 degrees off the track, because the "track" is a line, not a point. It would make better sense if they left "track" out of it (" 90 degrees to the right or left of the aircraft"), or made it even more wordy by saying something like "90 degrees to the right or left of the aircraft with reference to its track".

I'm glad I don't have to write the glossary.
chalupa

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »

yikes, How did he get a ppl?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length