Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 05:28:16 AM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Aviation Audio Clips (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  What's abeam mean?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's abeam mean?  (Read 20835 times)
C172SP

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 08:52:12 AM »

He probably got his PPL the same way most of us do, by taking the required instruction and passing the required tests. I don't think it's out of the question to be a good pilot but to have somehow missed the definition of "abeam." I mean, look at us... we're all explaining it different ways, so it can't be that simple.

I remember watching John and Martha King tell me to always speak up if I don't understand an instruction. And that's just what this pilot did. I have no problems with him.
bcrosby

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 09:40:14 AM »

Although im not a pilot (yet)... only 1 of my text books ("From the Ground Up") mentions "abeam".

I didn't even know what that word meant, until I read it here... then looked it up.

The pilot did do the right thing though.. speak up if you dont understand. Sometimes though, it can be intimidating because the controllers are usually busy and get frustrated easily when they have to repeat or explain their instructions.

Chairboy

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 06:36:06 PM »

I'm with the pilot here, he spoke up.  Nobody knows everything, and I encountered 'report abeam the field' twice while training in the Los Angeles basin (where I flew in a lot of controlled airspace), and zero times since moving to Oregon.

Never fake it.

I'd actually commend him for it, the same way I would for a friend who chooses to do a go-around instead of 'forcing it down'.  Sure, the situation could have been avoided in the first place, but how you handle it is, in the end, more relevant.

Nehemiah Scudder for president
Tunaheart

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 11:26:28 AM »

This was confusing to me also, had the pilot been on a NE or SW heading then he could report abeam the airfield when his (right or left) wingtip pointed at the airport, after listening and thinking about it.  But if I were flying and the controller asked me that  and I were not on those headings I wouldn't know what he wanted..  Would make more sense to say west, north, south ,east, northeast, southeast ... of the airport regardless of heading.  Southeast abeam??  Never heard it used like this before but in the pattern I've heard it used many times as I'm sure you all have, makes sense when you are reporting abeam the numbers. Of course I am assuming being on a track and reporting abeam when wing (assuming no wind) is pointing at the particular point.  This is what abeam means to me.  I can only assume that the controller knew that the aircrafts track was such that the pilot would eventually be abeam the airport (90 degrees perpendicular)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length