airtraffic

Author Topic: Cessna Crash at KHPN 06/18/11  (Read 15863 times)

Offline athaker

Cessna Crash at KHPN 06/18/11
« on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:54 AM »
Sad story here, with my condolences to the family and friends.  I know we have some pilots here who fly out of Westchester.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/nyregion/plane-crash-in-westchester-county-kills-4.html?ref=nyregion

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Cessna Crash at KHPN 06/18/11
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
I didn't hear about this until I received a phone call last night from a buddy wondering if I had heard anything about it.  Sad story indeed. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of those who passed away.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:43:30 AM by Jason »

Offline NoMad

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
Sounds like they were either talking to departure or on 21.5.  They tried to hand them off to the tower but the pilot said they're unable to change frequency, so I guess he had his hands full.  They went down in the woods.

Offline rjs176cp

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:33 PM »
Very sad story. The crash site was still being secured by the police when I drove by this afternoon. I believe the wreckage is still being examined by the NTSB.

If you listen to the recording you hear the pilot announce that he needs to return to Westchester. When the departure controller tries to hand him back to the tower the pilot responded "I cant go to tower". The departure controller repeated the tower frequency again, as if to insist a frequency change. Shortly after you hear the pilot return to the tower frequency and attempt to communicate. A few seconds after that the plane goes down.

I would have to assume the pilot had controlibiltiy issues with the aircraft as he crash landed in a heavily wooded area, when there are many golf courses, a large reservoir and other more suitable places for an off airport landing attempt.

Offline NoMad

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »
When the departure controller tries to hand him back to the tower the pilot responded "I cant go to tower". The departure controller repeated the tower frequency again, as if to insist a frequency change.
I think it is more likely he didn't hear the pilot say he can't do it.  Not even the angriest NY departure controller would do that.