airtraffic

Author Topic: Frederick, MD Crash  (Read 31862 times)

Offline Golar

Frederick, MD Crash
« on: October 24, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »
The audio of the crash in MD on 10.23 was disturbing.  Rarely have I heard the plane mic keyed after impact. The controller was highly shaken.

Offline N/A

Re: Frederick, MD Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
The audio of the crash in MD on 10.23 was disturbing.  Rarely have I heard the plane mic keyed after impact. The controller was highly shaken.
Hell, I was shaken, too... and I'm just talking about sitting here at my desk listening to the audio and reading news articles!

RIP to those who perished. If there are any lessons for pilots and/or ATC alike to be learned from this specific situation (whatever that may have been - still not sure on the details, flightpaths, etc.)... may they quickly be brought to light.

Offline Ace Rockola

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
It is gratuitous and inhumane, not to mention highly disturbing - for LiveATC.net to release this without regard for the families of this tragedy.   How hard would it have been, to edit out the screaming ?   The press ran with this audio clip, and also chose to play all of it.  No warning was given to listeners by you or the press.

I sure as shit, didn't need to hear that.  Whether it came from the helicopter pilot or fixed wing pilot, is irrelevant.

Offline N/A

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »
It is gratuitous and inhumane, not to mention highly disturbing - for LiveATC.net to release this without regard for the families of this tragedy.   How hard would it have been, to edit out the screaming ?   The press ran with this audio clip, and also chose to play all of it.  No warning was given to listeners by you or the press.

I sure as shit, didn't need to hear that.  Whether it came from the helicopter pilot or fixed wing pilot, is irrelevant.

You also didn't need to cop the attitude with your reply based on your opinion.

"LiveATC.net" didn't "release" anything. They provide a free, uncensored service to the public. Someone unaffiliated with the site decided to cut the clip from the archives and post it. Since then, Dave decided out of respect to remove the post with that clip (though I suspect the full transmission is still accessible via the archives).

Here's your warning (again, from someone unaffiliated with LiveATC.net): If you don't want to hear a sensationalist piece of reporting, don't watch the news. Ever. If you want to blame someone for what some reporter/producer decided to put into that piece of reporting... first, kindly locate the virtual door at your 6 o'clock that led you to these forums and use it. Then, go find the news station.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:37:43 PM by swa4678 »

Offline N/A

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
(Accidental double post - hate my internet.)

Offline Marty Becker

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
It is gratuitous and inhumane, not to mention highly disturbing - for LiveATC.net to release this without regard for the families of this tragedy.   How hard would it have been, to edit out the screaming ?   The press ran with this audio clip, and also chose to play all of it.  No warning was given to listeners by you or the press.

I sure as shit, didn't need to hear that.  Whether it came from the helicopter pilot or fixed wing pilot, is irrelevant.

You also didn't need to cop the attitude with your reply based on your opinion.

"LiveATC.net" didn't "release" anything. They provide a free, uncensored service to the public. Someone unaffiliated with the site decided to cut the clip from the archives and post it. Since then, Dave decided out of respect to remove the post with that clip (though I suspect the full transmission is still accessible via the archives).

Here's your warning (again, from someone affiliated with LiveATC.net): If you don't want to hear a sensationalist piece of reporting, don't watch the news. Ever. If you want to blame someone for what some reporter/producer decided to put into that piece of reporting... first, kindly locate the virtual door at your 6 o'clock that led you to these forums and use it. Then go find the news station.

Well said, SWA4678.

Offline NEaviator

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »

Rockola,  
LiveATC did not release anything.  The service picks up whatever is transmitted on the public radio frequencies.  Contrary to your accusations, the press picked up the audio before the specific clip was published (now deleted).  

By the way, the half hour archive segment during the crash was deleted from LiveAtc archives as well.

We do not need to hear your gratuitous vulgar potty mouth.  If you do not want to listen to the press, feel free to tune out, whether covering aviation or anything at all.  

Offline bugalou

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
I may be the odd one out, but I do not agree with censoring these type of incidents.  There should certainly be a warning, but deleting and burying them is not a good thing.  This site is all about documenting the day to day activities in the aviation community.  These crashes are a sad, but an absolute reality that every pilot should be aware of every time he steps in the cockpit.  Incidents like these, while disturbing, do happen.  You can not shelter everyone from the world and the unfortunate realities that occur.  Just my two cents of course.

Offline KBED1185

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
I may be the odd one out, but I do not agree with censoring these type of incidents.  There should certainly be a warning, but deleting and burying them is not a good thing.  This site is all about documenting the day to day activities in the aviation community.  These crashes are a sad, but an absolute reality that every pilot should be aware of every time he steps in the cockpit.  Incidents like these, while disturbing, do happen.  You can not shelter everyone from the world and the unfortunate realities that occur.  Just my two cents of course.

A part of me has to agree with you, bugalou.  In fact, I agreed wholeheartedly at first...

However, having listened to the pilot's final moments in this case, there is absolutely nothing positive that can be gleaned from the recording.  It depicts the painful final seconds of the pilot's life in blood-curdling screams - not exactly a course in aviation education.  In addition, having witnessed the audio recording live in its entirety, I feel that it's important to respect the pilot and his loved ones by offering him the respect of privacy.  I do not believe he intentionally keyed the mic and LiveATC.net is not the end of the road for such clips.  I believe Dave's intention was to make an exception in order to avoid the clip making national headlines, simply out of respect for the victims and their families.

Despite the argument for privacy, I keep returning to the idea that pilots (myself included) frequently overlook the realities of general aviation, as you mentioned.  Incidents like these do happen - indeed quite frequently - and we might all be better off facing realities head-on rather than shying away and opting for "protection".  In my humble opinion, pilots like me have no business being in the air without an intimate understanding of the risks involved, including fatality.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!

Offline charlie17

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »
i want to hear it! where i can find the MD crash audio archive??

Offline N/A

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
-
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 04:32:39 PM by None. »