airtraffic

Author Topic: HPN Feeds  (Read 13600 times)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
HPN Feeds
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
We are still waiting to finish all of the the details and such with the new location, but we're hopeful the install should happen sometime in August.  The feeds should hopefully be up and running with an external antenna by September 1st, but no guarantees.  We may be adding a few more receivers as well.

Best,
Jason

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: HPN Feeds
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »
Looking forward to it.  Thursday evenings have been absolutely crazy in their airspace.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:49:10 PM »
HPN feeds down until Saturday, 9/13, which is when Dave and I will be installing the feeds at a new location.

Best,

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »
HPN feeds down until Saturday, 9/13, which is when Dave and I will be installing the feeds at a new location.

Christmas in September, it will be.  :-)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

Christmas in September, it will be.  :-)

Indeed.  :-D

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
The new HPN feeds are up and running...sounding great.  It was quite an installation, involving a flight instructor, director of the flight school, dave, and me (and a a deice truck, ladder climbing, etc).  We also had to fish the coax cable across a drop ceiling.

Here are the feeds:

HPN Ground and Delivery (121.825, 127.250)
HPN Tower (118.575)
NY Approach - NOBBI sector (126.400)
NY Approach - NYACK sector (120.550)

While we have PDC's at HPN, clearance delivery does get real busy on Friday afternoons, and during other busy departure pushes.  These are really good times or instrument students and pilots to listen to the HPN GND and DEL feed, great practice for copying clearances and familiarizing yourself with the traffic metering tools used in the NAS.

Best,
Jason
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:02:02 PM by Jason »

Offline ATCWanAaB

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 05:54:19 PM »
Are we gonna hear the pilots on the Nobbi and Nyack feeds? I'm listening right now to the Nyack feed (they are combined at the moment) and you can only here the controller.

Either way, I am so happy these feeds are up. Thanks!

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
Are we gonna hear the pilots on the Nobbi and Nyack feeds? I'm listening right now to the Nyack feed (they are combined at the moment) and you can only here the controller.

Either way, I am so happy these feeds are up. Thanks!

Actually, HAARP (120.80) was simulcasting on both 120.80 and 120.55.  They weren't using the 120.55 frequency today, but were simulcasting anyway.  Since the transmitter for 120.80 is down at LGA, we weren't really able to pick that up well.  NYACK is really only opened for busy pushes at HPN (thursday and friday afternoons, sunday afternoons, holidays, etc), otherwise it is combined with NOBBI.

NOBBI is combined on HAARP at night (usually 8pm-8am unless weather is bad or traffic volume is high), and when traffic doesn't warrant opening the sector.  Today is one of those days....low ceilings and fairly light traffic volume.

Best,
Jason

Offline ATCWanAaB

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 11:57:56 PM »
Thanks for the info Jason. That makes a lot of sense.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »
Dave and Jason -

It is obvious to me that you two don't like to blow your own horn and instead let your hard work speak for itself, but if I may...

I just wanted to call the LiveATC community's attention to this new HPN feed as being a strong example of how hard you both work in making this site the premier aviation website it is.  

Rumor has it that you, Dave, and to a somewhat lesser degree, Jason, spent the good portion of your Saturday commuting round trip to White Plains from your far-away homes, running coax, configuring computers and scanners, and even putting your life almost literally on a limb elevating yourselves to mount antennas.  

As a result the HPN feed has become, in my opinion after listening to the tower all day Sunday, one of the flagship feeds in terms of quality and entertainment.  

Thank you both for your extremely hard work over this past weekend serving this community.  We  regulars here who enjoy the many feeds are very fortunate for the devotion you pour into LiveATC.  

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »
Bravo Dave and Jason. I just posted a similar thanks on the JFK status thread (I hadn't read your post yet Peter!) but saying "thanks" to these guys should be done multiple times because some users may take their hard work for granted from time to time.

Saturday I saw first-hand what Dave does for this service and it's quite involved.

Marco

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:21:35 PM »
Thanks, guys.  You are right - I do not like to toot my own horn.  I prefer to focus on growing the site and having results speak for themselves.  We are a long way from where this site will eventually evolve.

I do think it is quite true that the majority of site visitors and listeners have no idea what is involved here.  It is without a doubt quite extensive.  But I am the kind of person who always wants more, faster, better.

I do want to take the time to thank Jason for his endless help, especially at HPN and with assisting prospective feeders and other "customers."  He and I spend a fair amount of our time with that.

I would also like to point out that free sites are not really free.  Resources come from a variety of people and places, but I do count on site donations to help grow the site, its features, and the new "superfeeds" that we have been adding around the country.  So to those of you who have not made a donation to the site and it means something to you to have it around in the future, please consider even a small donation:

http://www.liveatc.net/donations.php

Thanks in advance.