airtraffic

Author Topic: JFK Feed Status (9/8/2008)  (Read 19162 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
JFK Feed Status (9/8/2008)
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
The feed has moved to its new location.  It is currently without a good antenna but this will be rectified on Saturday afternoon.  Until then, reception will be very spotty and you will likely not hear any of the controllers at all.

Patience for a few more days and things should be close to back to normal.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Lynch_Christopher

Re: JFK Feed Status (9/8/2008)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
Is the new feed site further away from the airport or about the same distance as the old site? You should also put some pictures of the new setup on the site when you get it all hooked up and running.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »
Is the new feed site further away from the airport or about the same distance as the old site? You should also put some pictures of the new setup on the site when you get it all hooked up and running.

A few miles further away (we were spoiled before).  But there isn't really an antenna hooked up right now.

This will all improve by Saturday evening.

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:17:57 PM »
The JFK Feeds are back to full operating status. Dave will probably reply to this thread once he gets back home from his long day and long drive.  The equipment is now located in Valley Stream, NY and while it's farther away from JFK than the last location, it seems to be a better overall situation with a physically higher antenna and less crossfeed of the frequencies (but I'm sure Dave can give a better, more technically accurate explanation and that last point).

With a couple of extra scanners available, we decided to 1) separate the Clearance Delivery and Ground feeds and 2) add a new one that scans the various company-specific ground(maybe air too?) frequencies. Here's the list (courtesy of RadioReference.com):

131.40000  Cargoitalia
130.85000  Chautauqua
131.85000  Chautauqua, Comair, Republic, Freedom Air
131.50000  Continental 
129.65000  Delta
129.62500  Evergreen International
129.82500  JetBlue
129.10000  JetBlue
136.55000  JetBlue
129.75000  North American
129.00000  North American
131.95000  Sun Country

There were a couple more that we added after hearing frequency change instructions on the air. Dave will add those not listed above on the feed pages when he gets a chance.

Happy listening!

Marco

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:59 PM »
The only other frequency heard (and added) during our maintenance window was 131.375.  If anyone knows who uses that frequency please reply to this.

I would like to thank Lezam for hosting this feed over the last year or so and Marco and his uncle for taking over the hosting of the feed.  Marco also hosts the KFRG feed and has been a big supported of LiveATC.net over the years.  His help yesterday was invaluable (as was his uncle's) and I know the broader community here appreciates it.

I did not get a chance to take a picture but nothing has really changed from earlier posted pictures.

This feed is one of the feeds sponsored by LiveATC.net in cooperation with local volunteers in New York who are gracious enough to host the equipment and antenna.

-dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
FYI - the feed is now about 3-4 miles (straight line distance) from JFK.   It was previously about 2 miles away.

In the new location some (but very few) ground-based aircraft can occasionally be hard or impossible to hear.  But the advantage of the new location is that you won't hear any of the interference previously heard at the old location(s).  There is such a thing as being too close in that regard - the interference was locally generated since we were too close to the transmitters.  All in all, I think this is a more pleasant listening experience.

Happy listening,
Dave

Offline Phil D.

• http://www.nycaviation.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:07:49 AM »
Dave, I sent you a message through the site's contact form in regards to one of your frequencies.

Will archives be available for the JFK Company feed? I'd love to check it out and listen to myself. :)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:00:02 AM »
Dave, I sent you a message through the site's contact form in regards to one of your frequencies.

Will archives be available for the JFK Company feed? I'd love to check it out and listen to myself. :)

Starting at 9:00am EDT today those archives will start recording.  Just hadn't gotten to adding that in.

Dave

Offline Phil D.

• http://www.nycaviation.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »
Sounds good, Dave. Great work, thanks!

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
Hosting is the easy part of the process. Although you're too modest to say so, people should know that you did over *6 hours* of driving on Saturday to get the HPN and JFK feeds going again. Mixed in through the day, there was also the dirty work of climbing through small areas including an attic drilling, hanging and running wires.

I think I speak for all in saying thank you for the stuff that you do to keep this service going!

Marco

Offline soffs

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »
*applauds Dave for his hard work*

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »
Hosting is the easy part of the process. Although you're too modest to say so, people should know that you did over *6 hours* of driving on Saturday to get the HPN and JFK feeds going again.

Driving?   Dave's an instrument rated pilot.  What the heck is he doing driving?   :-)  :-)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
Driving?   Dave's an instrument rated pilot.  What the heck is he doing driving?   :-)  :-)

Marco - tell him what my back seat and trunk looked like.  Swamp of wires, cables, scanners, aluminum, and tools only begins to describe it.  :-)  But if I could have taxied to Valley Stream from JFK I would have flown for sure.  :-)

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
Marco - tell him what my back seat and trunk looked like.  Swamp of wires, cables, scanners, aluminum, and tools only begins to describe it.  :-)  But if I could have taxied to Valley Stream from JFK I would have flown for sure.  :-)

Argh, if that wasn't a good excuse to fly the Taco Bell Bonanza at approximately 800 pounds of useful load with 1/2 fuel, then perhaps another LiveATC user celebration dinner is in order.  Haha...

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 12:49:37 PM »
His back seat *was* a mess. I told him that we should make a significant effort to use one or both of our airplanes for the next service call. I live right next to KFRG so that should be a convenient rally point. Hey, it's a better excuse than a $100 hamburger! Plus I'm sure someone can write it off somehow.

Let's do it!

Marco

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 01:31:27 PM »
His back seat *was* a mess. I told him that we should make a significant effort to use one or both of our airplanes for the next service call. I live right next to KFRG so that should be a convenient rally point. Hey, it's a better excuse than a $100 hamburger! Plus I'm sure someone can write it off somehow.

Let's do it!

Marco

Yes, as is mine, though not to as great an extent.  I have antennas and spare radio parts laying all over the place.  We'll definitely meet up soon.  I'm thinking 121 Restaurant at OXC.  I work right there on the field, so it's often convenient for me.  Excellent food there too.

Best,
Jason