airtraffic

Author Topic: KBED/KORH/Boston Center feeds down tomorrow morning  (Read 32641 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
KBED/KORH/Boston Center feeds down tomorrow morning
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
These feeds will be down tomorrow as I move them to a new (higher elevation) site close to KBED.  This site will run a directional antenna to start and then a discone will be added in about a week or so later and combined with the beam.

The feeds may be reorganized a bit as well.  Will post more tomorrow.

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: KBED/KORH/Boston Center feeds down tomorrow morning
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 04:07:59 PM »
The following feeds are now being run from a location closer to Boston, in the Rt. 495 area northwest of Boston.  This is about 15-20 miles closer to Boston and Bedford, MA. Previously these feeds ran from my house.

I installed a Grove Scanner Beam (pointed southwest toward CT) that I had lying around up on an antenna tower at about the 100 foot level.  This is above all trees and the view from the top of the tower is pretty amazing.  It is a clear shot in all directions.  The location is about 700 feet above sea level.

The following improvements were noted:

1) On the KBED feed, reception of Bedford Tower (KBED) is improved and we can now hear most aircraft on the ground at Bedford.  Bedford Clearance Delivery and Ground are included in the feed now.  Both Lawrence Tower (KLWM) and Beverly Tower (KBVY) are audible.  Sometimes Beverly Tower is right on the edge of the squelch but this should improve a little as the leaves fall off the trees.  Overall, reception is greatly enhanced.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kbed.m3u

2) On the KORH feed, reception of Boston Center (GDM 36 123.75 and CON 37 134.70 sectors) is greatly enhanced, as is Bradley Approach 119.0 and Worcester Tower 120.5.  On the UNICOM frequencies (122.7, 122.8, 122.9), reception is very good, and we can hear aircraft from pretty far away.  Still evaluating that - and may move that traffic off to another feed with perhaps UNICOM and Flight Service and Flight Watch + Guard only.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/korh.m3u

3) Boston Center (Misc)

I'll list all the frequencies being scanned when I retrieve the scribbled piece of paper, but this feed covers essentially all the Boston Center low and high altitude frequencies except the ones listed under the zbw_dj feed.  All of them except 123.75 and 134.7 have the scanner DELAY set to off.  This is a primarily aircraft-only feed which is designed to have a wide sampling of what's going on on the Center frequencies.  Occasionally the 124.85 ground transmitter in Connecticut can be heard.  It is very weak right now but with some antenna tweaking and the addition of a second antenna reception may improve.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/zbw_misc.m3u

4) zbw dj Feed (Boston Center High Alt Sectors)

This feed is currently focused on the Boston Center high altitude sectors covering inbound Atlantic arrivals.  No real change here - reception should be somewhat enhanced but it is hard to verify.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/zbw_dj.m3u

Dave

« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:09:45 PM by dave »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:50:31 AM »
All these feeds are down at the moment due to a system issue.  Hopefully back in 24-48 hours.

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:36:09 PM »
Feeds are back up.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:26:14 PM »
4) zbw dj Feed (Boston Center High Alt Sectors)

This feed is currently focused on the Boston Center high altitude sectors covering inbound Atlantic arrivals.  No real change here - reception should be somewhat enhanced but it is hard to verify.

The reception does sound better on this feed. However there is a problem with the audio in that there is now splashover from the other Boston Center feed coming through in the background. While the splashover is not quite as loud it is very noticeable (distracting). DJ
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 06:11:18 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 06:43:13 PM »
It has been that way for awhile DJ.  I didn't want to be the one to bring that up since there are some here that think by me bringing up things that I am a bit pushy

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 08:49:55 PM »
It has been that way for awhile DJ.  I didn't want to be the one to bring that up since there are some here that think by me bringing up things that I am a bit pushy

From what I remember previously, the splashover was coming through on the Boston Center Misc feed, now it's the other way around, coming through on the Boston Center High Alt (Atlantic) feed. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 08:57:12 PM »

From what I remember previously, the splashover was coming through on the Boston Center Misc feed, now it's the other way around, coming through on the Boston Center High Alt (Atlantic) feed. DJ

I noticed it during the install but ran out of time at the site.   I will see if it is something that can be fixed by playing with the Linux audio mixer remotely.  Otherwise I'll work on it next time I'm there.  It is definitely annoying and I don't recall hearing it before.

Dave

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
I noticed it during the install but ran out of time at the site.   I will see if it is something that can be fixed by playing with the Linux audio mixer remotely.  Otherwise I'll work on it next time I'm there.  It is definitely annoying and I don't recall hearing it before.

Appreciate your efforts Dave, from what I've heard so far it appears to be an excellent location, the reception on 133.450 is much improved (hardly any interference now). DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 11:31:03 AM »

Dave

I think this is fixed now...see if you guys concur.

Dave

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 12:11:33 PM »
Still there but not as sever on both the BOAS ARTCC ATLANTIC and MISC feeds. By the way is 128.2 on any of these feeds Dave ?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 12:23:24 PM »
128.2 is covered on the zbw_misc feed.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »

Still hearing the Misc feed splashing through on the High Altitude (Atlantic) feed, actually sounds worse than before. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »

Still hearing the Misc feed splashing through on the High Altitude (Atlantic) feed, actually sounds worse than before. DJ

Very weird...I can't hear it at all now.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »

Just checked it again now, no change. When listening to the High (Atlantic) feed I can hear the Misc feed in the background at about half the volume. The same when listening to the Misc feed, I can hear the High (Atlantic) feed in the background at a lower volume. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »

Just checked it again now, no change. When listening to the High (Atlantic) feed I can hear the Misc feed in the background at about half the volume. The same when listening to the Misc feed, I can hear the High (Atlantic) feed in the background at a lower volume. DJ

I can't hear it at all now.  On three different players.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »
I can't hear it at all now.  On three different players.

I tried two players and still hear it using both, still in the background at around half volume . However I just noticed now that I can only hear it when using headphones (Sony earbuds), when using the PC (laptop) speakers I don't hear it !? DJ

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
Now on my desktop, with the speakers no splashover, with the headphones you can hear the other feed but it is very faint, not like with the laptop were on headphones the splashover is quite loud coming in at about half volume. DJ

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »
dave,

Re: The High Altitude (Atlantic) feed.

Do you get out to the site of this new feed very often ? Sorry to be a pain but it sounds like Boston has changed the frequency they are using for the BOS46 sector, it used to be 127.825, now they are using 118.425. It's been that way for the last couple of days, maybe just a temporary sub ? I seem to recall they were using 118.425 for the CAM39 sector off and on a few years ago. If they keep it up could you retune the scanner (remove 127.825 and replace with 118.425) ? I'm still getting that splashover as well (on headphones), if it's not too much trouble could you try and fix that as well ? I'm not trying to be demanding, just providing feedback. Thanks again for all your hard work. DJ

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2006, 02:27:34 PM »
dave,

Re: The High Altitude (Atlantic) feed.

Do you get out to the site of this new feed very often ? Sorry to be a pain but it sounds like Boston has changed the frequency they are using for the BOS46 sector, it used to be 127.825, now they are using 118.425. It's been that way for the last couple of days, maybe just a temporary sub ? I seem to recall they were using 118.425 for the CAM39 sector off and on a few years ago. If they keep it up could you retune the scanner (remove 127.825 and replace with 118.425) ? I'm still getting that splashover as well (on headphones), if it's not too much trouble could you try and fix that as well ? I'm not trying to be demanding, just providing feedback. Thanks again for all your hard work. DJ

I'll fix the feedback if I can.  The setup is the same as it was before I moved it so I'm not sure why this is happening.  It will require some debug time on site.  Not sure when I can get to it but I hope to get there soon, possibly tonight.  I will also check the 118.425 frequency out.  It appears that it might be a permanent change.

Dave

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 12:01:02 AM »
I have heard that 118.425 and 127.825 working at the same time a few days seperated by altitude heights, this was a few monts back listening w/out LIVAETC but on my scanner

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »
I'll fix the feedback if I can.

Thanks !

I will also check the 118.425 frequency out.  It appears that it might be a permanent change.

Just listening now (1300 EDT) they are back to using 127.825, but it's not that busy so maybe they split it high/ultra high when it gets busy ? Although the last couple of days they appeared to be using 118.425 for everything above FL240. DJ

Offline MIAMIATC

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 07:05:28 PM »
I would assume the Altitude reasoning since now days MHT Traff has increased outbound over this sector these days. They used to file direct BAF,CMK,AND Nelie Intersections. Now the majority of SW traff outbound from MHT is filed to the Witch Intersection then turning rright to over BOS then direct to their filed altitiudes. This would take them to 128.2 off MHT DEP thence 127.825 from 180-240. Just a surmision on my part DJ and Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2006, 09:13:59 AM »
I would assume the Altitude reasoning since now days MHT Traff has increased outbound over this sector these days. They used to file direct BAF,CMK,AND Nelie Intersections. Now the majority of SW traff outbound from MHT is filed to the Witch Intersection then turning rright to over BOS then direct to their filed altitiudes. This would take them to 128.2 off MHT DEP thence 127.825 from 180-240. Just a surmision on my part DJ and Dave

I believe you're right.  The FAA has been experimenting for a while now with this new outbound routing from Manchester.  The goal has been to provide for easier traffic separation for the MHT and PWM inbound traffic.

See:
http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/airspace/mht20050124.php

It would appear that this has been made permanent since all MHT outbound jet traffic gets direct PSM then WITCH (or a vector after PSM).  Also, I regularly hear GDM36 giving PWM inbounds a crossing restriction for NEETS.

Dave

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »
How do these sound now?  I made some changes at the site Saturday night.  I am on my laptop right now and never really heard the bleedover here, so I can't be sure it's fixed.  I am trying to narrow the issue down.

Dave