Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:34:35 PM
Home Help Login Register      
News: LiveATC.net Flyers Released!  Please click here to download & print a copy and be sure to post at an airport near you!

+  LiveATC Discussion Forums
|-+  Air Traffic Monitoring
| |-+  Feed Outage/Status Reports (Moderators: dave, RonR)
| | |-+  KLAS FEED update
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KLAS FEED update  (Read 10022 times)
KSYR-pjr

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »

The forecast for tomorrow between 1100 at 2000 Z is for winds out of the south at 30 knots gusting 55 with a 70 knot shear about 2000 feet off the ground.  That should be some good listening!  Winds at 12,000 feet tomorrow will be near 100 knots.  That might get a bit bumpy. 

Maybe I'll go practice some crosswind landings instead. cheesy

With all those hills/mountains surrounding Reno, I would imagine that there would be mountain wave and rotor warnings with winds forecast that high, no? 

Regards, Peter
ATC Feed:  Syracuse (KSYR), NY
tyketto

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

The forecast for tomorrow between 1100 at 2000 Z is for winds out of the south at 30 knots gusting 55 with a 70 knot shear about 2000 feet off the ground.  That should be some good listening!  Winds at 12,000 feet tomorrow will be near 100 knots.  That might get a bit bumpy. 

Maybe I'll go practice some crosswind landings instead. cheesy

With all those hills/mountains surrounding Reno, I would imagine that there would be mountain wave and rotor warnings with winds forecast that high, no? 

You would think, yes!

But on the other hand, if you're already at cruise altitude... Think of that tailwind!!  shocked

BL.
rbrong

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »

No doubt about it.  We can't see them today with the heavy overcast but on any other day when there are winds of about 25 knots at about 12,000 I tend not to fly over the Sierra just for that reason.  Of course, when I take the 4,000 HP Cessna 172 with full after burner it isn't a problem grin

So far I'm just hearing reports of turbulence and icing but nothing much about wind shear (yet).

This is a good day to pull up MS Flight Sim with real-world weather and do some "what if" flying.

Cheers -

Richard
KRNO
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length