airtraffic

Author Topic: KLAS FEED Major Improvements  (Read 8541 times)

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
KLAS FEED Major Improvements
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:20:31 AM »
Ladies & Gentlemen

By popular demand and for your amusement I present to you the NEW KLAS TOWER FEED !!

The adding of the TWR feed presented me with a new challenge how do I run 2 feeds on a very old win98 PC at the same time? well the sad truth is the old PC was to slow to run the 2 scanners at the same time:-(

So the old aging XP PC was doomed to hosting the feeds but o-well it was fate after all   :-D (lol)

Here is the major overhaul comparisons

OLD FEED SETUP

PC: P11 300Mhz
Ram: 64MB
Feed Software: STWin v4
Radio: PCR100
Antenna: Homebrew 1/4 Wave Ground Plane
Coax: 50ft 75ohm RG59 (TV Cable)
Splitter: 2 way (TV TYPE)

NEW FEED SETUP

PC: P111 1.0 GHz
Ram: 1024 MB
Feed Software: STWin v4 X2
Radio: PCR100 X2 one running PCR100 software and the other PCR1000
Antenna: Custom tuned 5/8 wave (LARSEN SUPER BASE)
Coax: 50ft 50ohm Belden 9913
Splitter: Active Receiver Multicoupler MCA204M (STRIDSBERG ENGINEERING)

RESULTS

OLD TWR receiver signal strength S-2 to S-5 NEW S-6 to S-9
OLD APP/DEP receiver signal strength S-4 to S-6 NEW S-6 to S-8
Airborne planes much higher then that !

So about a gain of 2 to 4 S-Units WOW what a huge improvement !  The most notasble improvements was at the antenna of course espashally on the low end of the band do to the fact that its cut to 118 to 121 MHZ however it still shows a db gain over a 1/4 wave, above 121MHz Now as for the coax there was a small amount of gain by switching to the much better 9913 and to my surprise there was about a 4 db gain when I inserted the 4 way Active Multicoupler however this came at a price as the noise on 118.75 went up so I had to ATT the SIG by 20 db to drop the noise on that Frq (unknown where its coming from) maybe power lines? but O-well at least I can receive it now.

I would like to thank all of the those who offered to donate gear and there time to setup the feed very much appreciated thank you  :-D

Well there you go the new KLAS FEED enjoy !

73s
Glenn KB6HLM Las Vegas, NV

Offline Olivia

Re: KLAS FEED Major Improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:02 PM »
I don't understand what you just said up there, but thanks to you and your helpers/those that donated...LAS is a close second behind my local LAX to listen to.     :-D

Offline lostmoon

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »
Glenn 310,

Thank you so much for this. You are THE MAN. Appreciate all the hard work you put into this.

vZLA admirer. :D

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:56:57 PM »
Awesome job Glenn!

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 10:52:48 PM »
310 ???  O now I get it........ WOW how the hell did you know it was me? WWW310 (Janet) (LOL)

How funny :-D anyway guys thanks for your support I just wanted to add that there are more improvements to be made to the feed as I tracked down that dam noise on 118.75 its coming from a near by FM transmitter !!  so I ordered a new Receiver FM Notch Filter.
88 - 108 MHz  from http://www.stridsberg.com/prod02.htm

If that takes care of the noise I could turn off the ATT witch will give me a 20db boost in signal strength on the TOWER FEED also I don't like the cheap sound card the TWR radio runs on it has a strange chirp some times so it will be replaced soon

73s
Glenn KB6HLM or WWW310 (LOL)  :-D