Author Topic: KLAS FEED update  (Read 22064 times)

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
KLAS FEED update
« on: November 13, 2007, 02:54:34 AM »
Like I promised (FM Notch Filter) installed !

WOW........... that thing really worked great ! it took out all the intermod noise coming from the FM broadcast band this allowed me to off the ATT and turn up the RF gain, also I have been playing around with the sound cards to get a perfect match for the (feeds) so if you were listening sorry for all the weird noises and bad audio "its not easy when you have 4 scanners/audio cards running on the same PC " (LOL)

Enjoy :-D

Glenn KB6HLM Las Vegas, NV

Offline tyketto

Re: KLAS FEED update
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
Like I promised (FM Notch Filter) installed !

WOW........... that thing really worked great ! it took out all the intermod noise coming from the FM broadcast band this allowed me to off the ATT and turn up the RF gain, also I have been playing around with the sound cards to get a perfect match for the (feeds) so if you were listening sorry for all the weird noises and bad audio "its not easy when you have 4 scanners/audio cards running on the same PC " (LOL)

Enjoy :-D

Not a problem here at all, Glenn, and thanks for the updates you're doing! I was listening a couple of nights ago when you were doing the testing (I heard the beeps and warning sounds from windows when you were doing it), and found it funny and a bit cute when you came in every 10 minutes or so announcing that you're listening to the Las Vegas LiveATC feed hosted by KB6HLM, like you were doing the normal radio station callsign announcements required by the FCC!

Reminds me of listening to the radio feed at 25L/R when they'd interrupt every 10 minutes with some question about the airport or Patrick McCarran and to find more information by visiting the aviation museum in the airport above baggage claim.

BL.

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:22:59 AM »
Ya that must have been quite amusing LOL

I was testing the voice ID to get a sound check I had to find some way of mixing sounds cards without a mixer (believe me it was not easy to set up !) anyway please don't worry it wont ID every 10 minutes like the airport FM broadcast "that would be a big turn off" pun intended   :-( 
Nope it's set to ID at the top of the hour and audio level set below the radio input (ID not required by the FCC) just for fun HA HA

Thanks for your reply & support tyketto

73s

PS
whats that strange sound at 30 min past the hour ???

Offline Neil

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »
Aww. KLAS is down.  :-(

Offline Neil

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:41:24 PM »
Any news when this will be up?

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:58:05 PM »
Yes

The power Supply went out last night  :x

But O-well this gave me a chance to upgrade the PS and the case fans to something a bit less noisy  I also upgraded the sound cards as well

Should be back online tonight (if all goes well)  :-D
Thank you for your patience

Offline Neil

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 04:28:25 PM »
Sah-weeet!

Thanks for your efforts. I get to listen to the feed while looking straight down the runways from my office. It helps the day go by... :-D

Offline SLM AIRWAYS

Need some help!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 05:44:28 AM »
Im currently seeking some PVD(Providence) , CLE(Cleveland) And MCI (Kansas City)!  If someone can help me out I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Offline SLM AIRWAYS

Feed Help
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 05:45:39 AM »
Some reason the feeds arent working for me!

Offline rbrong

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
Hi Glenn,

The feed sounds great.  Thanks for updating the hardware.  I added an FM notch filter (from PAR Electronics) to my setup a while back and was blown away at how well it helped get rid of FM noise in my setup.  Sounds like we had a similar problem!  Thanks for your efforts and Happy New Year to you!

Your neighbor to the north -
Richard
KRNO

Offline KB6HLM

• KB6HLM
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 04:53:11 AM »
Hey there Richard (neighbor to the north)  :-D
Good to hear form you and thanks for the reply ya the filter works great ! and its a must when you have so many high power FM radio stations around you

I was reading your other post about your back up battery WOW what a great idea !! hemmm thats what I need........... well maybe someday

I did however come across an old car stereo EQ I found in the trash at work it had only DIN plugs in the back so with soldering iron in hand it now has RCA jacks in the back and its now hooked up between both radios and the sound cards

Report: It seams to help get rid of the unwanted noise at 16Khz 8Khz 4Khz and it gave the voice midrange a needed boost at 2Khz 1Khz 500Hz also set (250Hz +2db) (120Hz -2db) (60Hz -2db) after playing around with it for about an hour that seams to be the best sounding for AM ATC

Again its good to finally have a FEED from The Biggest Little City in the World!
Thanks,
Good Night and Good Luck
From Las Vegas Nevada this is KB6HLM
73s  :-D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 04:55:36 AM by KB6HLM »

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 06:57:00 AM »
Great job Glenn!

Offline rbrong

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »
HI Glenn,

Now an eq is a good idea!  My PC I use for the Reno feed is stuffed in a closet below all my sound gear I use for my music / sound design stuff.  It hadn't dawned on me to run the scanner's audio feed through my eq.  I know the audio bandwidth is limited on our ATC feeds but at least we could emphasize what needed emphasis.

It makes me wonder about a software eq, too.  All the media players seem to have an equalizer for whatever you're listening to.  I wonder if there's one that could process the input???  Does anyone know of such a beast?

As for the UPS, I didn't buy it special.  I have one for my main computer and it just happened to have a few watts to spare.   :-)

Off to find my snow shovel... if you haven't heard down there we're about to be hit with three powerful winter storms.  The latest report said maybe as much as TEEN FEET of snow in the Sierra Nevada by the end of the weekend!! :-o

See ya -

Richard
KRNO

Offline tyketto

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 01:38:05 PM »
Off to find my snow shovel... if you haven't heard down there we're about to be hit with three powerful winter storms.  The latest report said maybe as much as TEEN FEET of snow in the Sierra Nevada by the end of the weekend!! :-o

See ya -

Richard
KRNO

Richard,

No 'maybe' about it! We're already getting hit with the rain and snow down the hill (I'm in Sacramento). If things continue to go as the are now, snow levels will be at about 1000 - 1500ft, which means any field at the foothills (KAUN, KPVF, KBLU, etc) and higher are going to get socked. We're already getting 20kt winds at SMF, and are reported to gust to 45 by tonight and 80 by Friday, so expect some serious turbulence up by you!

BL.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »
Neighbors all over.  I love it!

It has become quite windy here in Reno, too.  Last ATIS for KRNO reports winds 140 at 27 gusting to 38.  Just a few quick rain showers so far.  Several pilots reported wind shear of about 15 to 20 knots earlier today.  Things seem to have 'smoothed out' at about 13,000 feet (at least for now). 

The forecast for tomorrow between 1100 at 2000 Z is for winds out of the south at 30 knots gusting 55 with a 70 knot shear about 2000 feet off the ground.  That should be some good listening!  Winds at 12,000 feet tomorrow will be near 100 knots.  That might get a bit bumpy. 

Maybe I'll go practice some crosswind landings instead. :lol:

Thanks for the update from Sacramento!

Richard

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 08:28:35 AM »
The forecast for tomorrow between 1100 at 2000 Z is for winds out of the south at 30 knots gusting 55 with a 70 knot shear about 2000 feet off the ground.  That should be some good listening!  Winds at 12,000 feet tomorrow will be near 100 knots.  That might get a bit bumpy. 

With all those hills/mountains surrounding Reno, I would imagine that there would be mountain wave and rotor warnings with winds forecast that high, no? 

Offline tyketto

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 01:26:34 PM »

With all those hills/mountains surrounding Reno, I would imagine that there would be mountain wave and rotor warnings with winds forecast that high, no? 

You would think, yes!

But on the other hand, if you're already at cruise altitude... Think of that tailwind!!  :-o

BL.

Offline rbrong

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
No doubt about it.  We can't see them today with the heavy overcast but on any other day when there are winds of about 25 knots at about 12,000 I tend not to fly over the Sierra just for that reason.  Of course, when I take the 4,000 HP Cessna 172 with full after burner it isn't a problem :-D

So far I'm just hearing reports of turbulence and icing but nothing much about wind shear (yet).

This is a good day to pull up MS Flight Sim with real-world weather and do some "what if" flying.

Cheers -

Richard
KRNO