Author Topic: KLAX down-Blown power supply after storm/lightning surge  (Read 34397 times)

Offline bluecrewfan08

Re: KLAX down-Blown power supply after storm/lightning surge
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »
As I wrote earlier, I am working on things.

That being said, if ANY one else would like to start feeding any freq from KLAX, by all means please do. Once I get things straight here I will just fill in the gaps of which ever freqs are not covered. But in the mean time please be patient.

Rob

Offline bleyton

• Tarpy Tailors - the finest airline uniforms, since 1934
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
My test feed from LAX is finally up and running.  I still need to do something about a better antenna (it's running off a short whip), but all of the other components are in place.  I hope to do some more tweaking next week. 

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 08:15:51 PM »
My test feed from LAX is finally up and running.  I still need to do something about a better antenna (it's running off a short whip), but all of the other components are in place.  I hope to do some more tweaking next week. 

Very cool ! I can't wait to hear it. When your ready, just drop me a line and let me know which freqs you want to feed.  I will pick other freqs to feed.

Rob

Offline ARMEDnPISSED

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2009, 01:37:28 AM »
Volume for the feed is currently a bit too loud.

I live in a apartment in the Koreatown area and I don't think I could get good reception from the controllers because there's some sort of hill directly north of LAX (I think it has these radio towers on top of it, I'm not sure) that'll probably block the reception. I have the scanner and antenna (yet to set that up yet), its just that hill that will probably pose a problem.

Offline cateyes_777

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »
YAY!!! Bluecrewfan08, thank you so much, for giving me the joy of watching & listening to LAX again!

Happy Thanksgiving  :-)

Offline bleyton

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »

Very cool ! I can't wait to hear it. When your ready, just drop me a line and let me know which freqs you want to feed.  I will pick other freqs to feed.

Rob

At the moment I am feeding the same 2 tower freqs that you are, but yours sounds way better than mine.  I think the laptop is introducing a lot more noise into the radio, so I will need a better antenna to overcome the noise.  Hopefully I can come up with something that will work much better.

Offline mike47

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 09:24:48 PM »
Thanks for getting my favorite site up! All your efforts are much appreciated.  Have a great holiday season

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »

Rob

At the moment I am feeding the same 2 tower freqs that you are, but yours sounds way better than mine.  I think the laptop is introducing a lot more noise into the radio, so I will need a better antenna to overcome the noise.  Hopefully I can come up with something that will work much better.

What kind of antenna are you using?
Although you are so close, I doubt you would really need one for the 24's. 
Actually I am feeding right now with a laptop.....and i only have a mic , no line in. Thats why it sounds so crappy.

Rob

Offline bleyton

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »

What kind of antenna are you using?
Although you are so close, I doubt you would really need one for the 24's. 
Actually I am feeding right now with a laptop.....and i only have a mic , no line in. Thats why it sounds so crappy.

I am feeding with an old laptop too, but mine has a line-in, and I am using that.  The antenna is just a small whip attached to the BNC connector on the back of the scanner.  It sounds much worse now that the laptop is connected, so I think I am just getting a lot of noise from the laptop.  Same thing happened on my Burbank feed.  That one sounds better now that I hooked up a twinlead J-Pole, but still not as good as yours.

I am going to make up another J-Pole and send it with my wife tomorrow.  Hopefully that will help.

Offline Chananya Freedman

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
audio quality has suddenly became worse. the audio is "hot" too high volume and is distorted. If you could adjeust input level that would probably help. Thanks  :mrgreen:

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »
Thanks bluecrewfan for the LAX feed.

I do hear the "muffled" sound that Chananya pointed out. On my end it seems to kick in
several seconds after a transmittion starts. I have a hunch it's internet (bandwidth) related?
Just curious but is the server located in Australia???

Thanks again for the feed, and speaking of "feed" I'm craving for a "double double" over at In'N Out over by the approach end of 24R.  :-D

Ken

Offline bluecrewfan08

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2009, 11:30:01 PM »
Why/How would the server be located in Australia???

Rob

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I saw "aus" in the stream info box last night, this morning I saw "mso"?
http://mso.liveatc.net:80/klax_twr
Perhaps "aus" is Austin and not Australia come to think of it? Or server location identifier?

I can hear the audio quality drop a bit only after the start of each transmittion. About 2 seconds after the start. It's almost a garbled sound or muffled sound? No big deal, but it may indicate something?

Anyway thanks again for the feed. Listening to it now 6:45am before work.

Ken (N6GOH)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
Not in Australia...in Austin, TX.

Ad I should add that has nothing to do with sound quality.  It is most likely coming from the source broadcast.

-dave

Offline OrbitalDynamics

• The shape of things to come.
    • usaviation.com
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 07:02:34 PM »
Stuck on the ATIS as of 19:00 Eastern.