Author Topic: KSYR to go down tonight for a computer swap  (Read 8596 times)

Offline KSYR-pjr

KSYR to go down tonight for a computer swap
« on: October 28, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »
Just got a suitable laptop to replace the tower PC providing the KSYR feed.   Friday night, October 28th around 9:00 eastern time I will be moving the feed to the laptop so KSYR will be down for an hour or so.

With about 5 hours worth of portable battery power, this laptop should increase feed reliability through most power interruptions.

Offline KSYR-pjr

KSYR to go down tonight for a computer swap
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 09:05:51 PM »
Well, that went much quicker than I expected.  Feed is back up and supplied by the laptop now.

An added bonus is that the hum that used to be there when the tower PC provided the feed is now gone.  The feed sounds crystal clear as of tonight (of course, atmospheric conditions are probably just right, too).   :-)

Offline gfw123

Wow
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 10:20:03 PM »
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: KSYR to go down tonight for a computer swap
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Worlds fastest computer swap, 6 minutes!

Good job!

--greg.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Wow
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 10:32:28 PM »
Quote from: gfw123
Worlds fastest computer swap, 6 minutes!

LOL!  In all honesty, I spent a few hours prior to the swap configuring the laptop, cleaning it up, and making sure the OS was rock solid before performing the swap.

The reason I posted here was because I expected to have problems with the streaming transcoder software (the software that digitizes the feed and sends it up to the LiveATC servers).  I didn't have the installation routine for this software so I merely copied over the directory from the other PC.  Fortunately the software is smart enough to create new registry entries if none exist, which is what made it begin feeding properly on the first try.