airtraffic

Author Topic: AGC  (Read 29183 times)

VTPilot

AGC
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »
I live across the valley from KAGC and gathering the equipment for a live feed. Think there would be much interest?  I'm going to class at PIA working on my avionics license. Thanks, Jim

Offline PIT

Re: AGC
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 11:56:38 PM »
ide listen in now and than. it would help make the PIT area complete. hows PIA?

VTPilot

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:13:29 AM »
PIA is pretty well. I started class last January and here in Pittsburgh untill Oct 2008. I'm in third quarter now studying electronics, four more quarters to go.

VTPilot

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 04:59:23 PM »
I got my test feed up last night. Some of the ground transmitions from aircraft don't come in as well as I had hoped. I might build a preamp at class. either that or an outdoor antenna. The Tower comes in pretty well though.

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kagc.m3u

See what you all think   Right now I have it scanning Tower, Ground, and Downtown. Downtown is the freq the Stat medevac helicopters use near the hospitals and sightseeing traffic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 03:27:05 AM by VTPilot »

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »
I live across the valley from KAGC and gathering the equipment for a live feed. Think there would be much interest?  I'm going to class at PIA working on my avionics license. Thanks, Jim

Allegheny County, PA.  Great airport and I would definitely listen to the feed.   I have flown into AGC several times and one time collapsed a front strut there while landing a C172 (No, it wasn't due to a bad landing, but rather a bad oil seal within :) ).  A mechanic there was kind enough to fill the strut with air for free so that I could return the aircraft back to its home nest for a complete strut repair.

Offline goochff21

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »
I'll listen to AGC for sure. It's a busy little airport with a lot of helicopter activity (mostly the medical mentioned before). Plus, there is a good bit of military traffic into here, usually just passing through.

Offline digger

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »
I didn't think there was much military traffic into Allegheny County at all.

Now, Youngstown, Ohio (KYNG) gets a lot of military traffic. The C-130s do NVG (night vision goggles) training there all the time. I kinda wish somebody would set up a feed from there...

VTPilot

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »
I hear the civil air patrol flights often. I don't know if that counts for military traffic. Today I also heard a coast guard airplane transitioning the class D following the river. That was cool, it was a Cherokee six. They used to have the national guard here at AGC before PIT was built i believe. The national guard and air force are now at PIT.

Offline goochff21

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:01:21 PM »
I know quite a few guys who work out there and they said it was a common stop for military aircraft that were passing through. I'm sure there are better spots for monitoring/listening to military.

Offline douglas8860

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »
Thank you for providing an AGC feed.
I grew up in the area and always listened to AGC and PIT.
Good luck at PIA, it's a great school and I'm sure you will do well.

Offline erik04

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 01:08:45 AM »
The military was at AGC after PIT, which had been a National Guard base from the 40's, opened as a commercial field. The army was at Roger's Field in Fox Chapel, then Bettis Field, then AGC, where an active duty army facility remained until maybe the very early 70's.  They were in the lower west ramp, last large hangar on the right, and is still referred to as the "army hangar". They had their own gas pump, if I remember correctly. It is a maintenance hangar now.
   There were fixed wing there and helicopters. I remember a newspaper article in the 60's, when after a light dusting of snow. a twin rotor helo was asked to fly the length of the main runway to blow the snow off.
   Also the Navy had a regular round trip run every weekend with a DC-4, and later a DC-9. I saw the DC-4 (R4D) go off the runway once and start down the cliff,  when a brake locked.  The flights got moved to PIT when there was runway construction. I rode that DC-4 trip once-Norfolk to PIT, via Huntingdon, WVA 1972.

Offline pawarrant

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 08:41:50 PM »
"Douglas 8860"....I hear that quite often at work coming in to AGC!  Nice to see and Hear!