Author Topic: Feed tied to video  (Read 32978 times)

Offline unicycletrumpet

• East Coast Flying
Feed tied to video
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »
My friend and I are both pilots and we both work together. On our last flight I took a video of him landing. We got to talking about it later and for a while we have been talking about setting up a LiveATC at our airport and putting it up on top of either my house or his. But then we thought that it would be cool to also set up a webcam and stream video of the planes landing and taking off to put on the airport's website. We called the airport manger today and he thought it was a great idea. He is going to let us set up a server computer, move the airport's website to the server, stream audio and video to the server and the audio to LiveATC. He is also going to let us use the airport's existing ground station radio transmitter/receiver to pull the audio from. How lucky is that? (did I mention he is willing to pay for any equipment we may need?) We are going to the airport on Friday to talk with him about what exactly we and he wants done. My friend and I both have experience managing websites so we are probably going to manage the airport's website for him too. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.

Offline K5PAT

Re: Feed tied to video
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:31:04 PM »
Great score!  Co-operative airport managers are few and far between.  What airport is it?

Offline unicycletrumpet

• East Coast Flying
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »
Harford County Airport in Maryland (0W3)

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

Very nice!!

IIRC, a LONG time ago, Dave here had nearly the same thing set up for KBOS, but the webcam was user-controlled. you chould still hear ATC fed through, but whoever was signed up, or 'next in line' was able to control the webcam and what everyone else was looking at.

But getting the airport manager's buy-in on this is a big score. congratulations!

BL.

Offline unicycletrumpet

• East Coast Flying
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:13 AM »
yeah, we told him our idea and he immediately saw the potential of increasing the profile of the airport and their website. Our webcam is going to be fixed. We talked about user controlled but decided against it. We have 3 runways (2 grass 1 paved) and it will be on top of the FBO looking down runway 19-01 (grass) and the most heavily used runway and across 10-28 (paved). We have lots of activity at our airport and I have never been there when there wasn't at least 1 person in the pattern. We also have a ton of glider activity on the field which will be cool too. We just purchased the webcam just before Christmas and we got a good one (HD 720p) we will be installing it probably next week.

Offline cabriopilot

• Forever walking the earth gazing skyward.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
Sounds like a major score.

Offline Chadan

• Boone Airport
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:27 PM »
This sounds awesome!

Offline unicycletrumpet

• East Coast Flying
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:46 AM »
update....

well, we spent a while looking for cameras, got busy, purchased a camera, it never arrived, got a refund, purchased a new camera and finally we have it in our hands. The airport manager just got a static IP address and I have finished installing LAMP under Ubuntu Linux on an old server computer I wasn't using anymore. I am working on getting the IP camera set up in Ubuntu, but it proving to be more difficult than I though. The camera came with no documentation and there is little/none online. I expect it will still be a month or two before we get the whole shebang up and running. The airport manager is still super excited about it too. We made sure we got a high end HD all weather camera. It even has night vision!

Offline Litigy

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
Any current updates?

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
I bet he's all snarled up getting that web cam to work with Ubuntu. I gave up after a week of dicking around trying to get one going for Skype... thought it was because I run LTSP thin clients in the home network but couldn't get the cameras to work on a desktop install either. If you get it to work, UniTrumpet, let me know how you did it.

Offline unicycletrumpet

• East Coast Flying
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 01:35:56 PM »
The webcam has been up and running for a few months now and I was going to work on getting the Live ATC feed up and running too but then I got sidetracked as I bought an airplane (very nice Cessna 177 Cardinal), got Married, and now doing my IFR training. Now that I have a little free time and am hanging out at the airport a lot more, I think we'll probably have no real issues getting the Live ATC feed up and running.
Check out the webcam at www.harfordair.com it is at the bottom of the page.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:05:22 PM »
Yeah, but tomorrow you'll learn that a baby is on the way and we'll have to wait another six months... :-)

Seriously, the web cam looks nice, Fall colors peaking and all.

I'll take that early sixties M20C sitting on the ramp there.