Author Topic: KSLC Feed setup  (Read 62841 times)

Offline bdaa86

KSLC Feed setup
« on: October 12, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
First post on LiveATC.  I've been wanting to set up a feed for KSLC for some time and finally got it done.  Thanks to Dave for his help.  Here are some photos of my setup. 

J-Pole - built in a few hours on a Saturday afternoon.
Computer - Running Ubuntu Linux with DarkIce streaming audio
Scanner  - my cheap eBay find

Thanks for listening, and I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Bill

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Re: KSLC Feed setup
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:37:49 PM »
Bill, how is ubuntu working for you?

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
Elliot,

Ubuntu has been great so far.  No complaints.  It was simple to install and setup, and has been solid.  But, its only been up 11 days so, ... time will tell.

Bill

Offline Olivia

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
Hi Bill-
 I listened to your feed for the first time over the w/e and thought it sounded great.  I had a friend transit through SLC on his way back to HOU and he enjoyed the cool weather while he was there.  Evidently, they don't see much of the 30's in TX!   :lol:

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »
Olivia, thanks for the kinds words.  I'm glad you like the feed.   As it turns out,  I've got some kin in the Lone Star state as well, but they're all up in the Panhandle.  From what I've heard, Houston is definitely not what I would call cold country ...  :-) 

Offline Airwolfe79

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
Bill,

Well done on getting KSLC on the board!  It sounds great!  I listen to it all day long at work.  Are you too far from KPVU to pick up any transmissions?  I would love to catch them too.

Thanks again,
Taylor

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
Hi Taylor,

Glad you're enjoying KSLC.  In answer to your question, yes, I am too far from PVU.  That and the fact that there's some geography between my location and PVU.  If your south of the Point of the Mountain, maybe you should set up a feed up for PVU ...  :-)

Thanks!
Bill

Offline gcrandell

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:41:20 AM »
Love it and it works great!  I'm here in SLC and have been wanting this for along time.  FYI, a ARTCC freq seems to cut out alot, when the controller speaks...

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:28:31 AM »
Hi gcrandell,

Thanks for the nice words.  I'm glad you are enjoying the KSLC feed. 

Regarding the offending frequency, I will try to identify which one is causing the problems.  I have a hunch its one of the northern frequencies, that is towards the edge of what I can get.   I'll see what I can figure out.

Bill

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »
I've updated the frequencies a bit for KSLC as follows:

KSLC Tower: 118.3 (Rwys 14-32, 17-35)
KSLC Tower: 119.05 (Rwy 16L-34R)
KSLC Tower: 132.65 (Rwy 16R-34L)
KSLC Tower: 120.2 (Rwy 17R-35L East) NEW

Approach/Departure:
125.7 NEW
124.9 NEW
135.5 NEW

You'll note I've removed the ground frequencies, and replaced them with a few additional App/Dep frequencies.   I got these  from a local controller that works KSLC Approach/Departure.  He felt this might give a little better coverage.  I've also doubled up on the channels so hopefully I won't have as many lost exchanges.

Bill

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 08:07:27 AM »
Updated the feed listing, Bill...sounds great!

Offline NVMYZ28

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you were planning to add KSLC approach 118.85?

I was on a training flight today shooting some practice instrument approaches into KPVU - the procedure requires contacting SLC approach on 118.85, and wanted to listen to my radio calls but they dont seem to be captured, no 118.85 :(

Thanks!

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 02:39:04 AM »
Thanks for listening.

The frequencies I'm using are a combination of ones I've listened to and used in my flying, and a few recommended by friends who are controllers.  I've not made a change since I started the feed, but I'm open to making a change or two if it benefits listeners.   I've plugged 118.85 in.   Let me know how it works for you.

Bill

Offline NVMYZ28

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »
Thank you!  I'll see if I can hear todays flight!

Edit:  Not to be pest but I havent heard any KPVU instrument approach traffic on the SLC feed yet - were you able to pick it up from your location on 118.85?  Its possible they have a repeater or something down in Utah county that you arent receiving?  Not sure.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:12:46 PM by NVMYZ28 »

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
I know for a fact that I have heard instrument approach traffic to KPVU on my feed, though I couldn't tell you which frequencies.  I listen at work and have heard quite a few calls to traffic shooting approaches to Provo. 

As for 118.85, I'll have to listen at home to verify if I can indeed pick it up.  I'll post back here on what I find out.  And please let me know if you pick up your calls. 

Bill

Offline bbrasmussen

• Aviation Photos
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 01:25:01 AM »
I'm not sure where the RCAG for that frequency is located, but if it's on Fairfield mountain where other RCAGs like the approach JORD (124.3) sector is located then it has wide coverage and would be easily receivable in the Salt Lake and as far north as Davis Counties. If it's located on or near KPVU then it would have coverage that would be impeded by the Point of the Mountain to areas north.

The other issue is that the KSLC feed has a lot of frequencies in the scan list, many of which are often very busy with KSLC traffic. The odds of getting a hit on 118.85 would be pretty slim.

Perhaps someone in the area could volunteer to put up a KPVU feed. I'd be interested in listening to it.

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
I listened last night for a while and picked up one aircraft transmission on 118.85.  It wasn't strong which may have been because there was geography between the aircraft and my feed.   I'll listen more and see what I can hear.    If I do hear ATC transmissions, and they are strong, there's a good chance the RCAG is on Fairfield mountain as bbrasmussen suggests.   Lets hope so.

There use to be a PVU feed, but it wasn't up for very long.  Putting up a feed isn't hard, but it does take a comittment of both time and money.   The cost to setup my feed was aprox. $100. $40 for a used computer, $40 for a used Radio Shack scanner (eBay), $20 for parts to build the antennae, cabling and the software was free. 

Its true I have a lot of frequencies on my scan list.  When I first set this feed up I was doing it selfishly for me, so I could listen at work.  I wasn't aware of the issues of having too many freqencies.  But no one ever complained so I left it.  When folks finally commented on the dropped transmissions, I removed extraneous freqencies and made a best effort to double up the selected freq's listed.   My cheapo scanner has 20 slots, so I put in 10-11 freq's, aprox. 2 slots per frequency.  Its worked ok, but I understand it isn't perfect. 

If someone has suggestions for a preferred frequency list, I'm willing to consider them.

Thanks!
Bill

Offline NVMYZ28

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
I still have some listening to do, but so far I wasnt able to hear any of my calls. We were in the air, and off and on with SL approach on 118.15 between 10am and 12:15 pm (17:00z - 19:15z) on the 14th.  There were multiple other aircraft shooting approaches into KPVU that were on with SL app on 118.15 with us during that time as well, and I didnt hear them either.

I'm guessing the frequency is not getting picked up or getting stomped on due to the other frequencies like mentioned above.   Its very likely that 118.15 is on top of the mountain by the FFU VOR like mentioned above - SLC has radar down at KPVU so they can see Utah County traffic, so it would make sense for 118.15 be for Utah county as well, and I bet the reception on the ground in SL valley is terrible.

I may have to get a scanner and see if I can receive them from my place and start my own feed  :mrgreen:

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
Okay, so maybe I'm confused here.  In your first post you said 118.85 and in your last post you say 118.15.  I checked the instrument procedures at PVU for the ILS or LOC/DME RWY 13 and VOR/DME RWY 13 and both show Salt Lake City APP Con - 118.85.  So, it looks like I have it right.   Let me know if I'm wrong on that.

FYI, I've only plugged this frequency into one spot on my scanner, so as bbrasmuussen said,  it may not get hit much.  I had to remove one of my doubled frequencies.  And maybe I need to do that, but lets see if I can even get it.

Keep me posted.
Bill

Offline bdaa86

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
I have been listening to 118.85 for a while now and I have confirmed that I can pick up 'some' aircraft transmissions depending on altitude and location.  I can hear the complete exchange from beginning to end, but I am not picking up the ATC part of the transmission, just the aircraft.  So, the RCAG must be blocked by some geography.  Its not going to work for my feed location.  I'm going to return to my original frequencies. 

Sounds like a new Provo feed is whats needed for this.

Bill

Offline hans0422

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:51 AM »
Cool......