airtraffic

Author Topic: Nashville, Tennessee (KBNA) feed setup  (Read 19235 times)

Offline MattBNA

Nashville, Tennessee (KBNA) feed setup
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:21:11 PM »
The member of our Nashville Aviation Photographers group ('BNA-Photo') that previously hosted the KBNA feed moved to Memphis a few years ago, but the feed continued to chug along at a family member's house.  The old feed ran for the better part of a decade on an old WinXP laptop and a single scanner with an old discone antenna up in a tree.  While this worked well for many years, the audio quality of low-altitude and ground aircraft near BNA was pretty poor from 13-miles away (feed location was lower than the airport), and if something went wrong it would have to remain broken until he could come to town and fix it.  He was still dedicated to the cause, but something had to change.

After working with another member of our group, we decided on a new location that is 6-miles away from BNA and a few hundred feet higher than the airport.  Depending on the aircraft and their location on the airfield, we can now hear most traffic on the ground and the feed is better than it's ever been.

Thanks to the dedication and support of Dave, we've had the feed running from the new location since early February.

Current setup includes:

Raspberry Pi B+ with an Ethernet link, WiFi back-up, and a Griffin iMic

(2) Uniden Bearcat scanners (BC350A / BC350C)

Arrow Antenna GP126 solid aluminum ground plane antenna tuned for aircraft band (mounted above roof)

Mini-Circuits splitter

AOR ABF125 bandpass filter

50' of LMR-240 coax

All feed equipment, cable modem, and router powered through an APC battery back-up unit

Offline josecmorales

Re: Nashville, Tennessee (KBNA) feed setup
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:48:41 PM »
Looks great, good work.

Offline borczm

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »
Hi, great looking setup, could you give me some more info on your antenna splitter? I noticed there's something between the antenna feed and the splitter, is this some kind of a filter?

Many thanks!!!

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:48:13 AM »
Hi, great looking setup, could you give me some more info on your antenna splitter? I noticed there's something between the antenna feed and the splitter, is this some kind of a filter?

Many thanks!!!

That is an airband bandpass filter.