Author Topic: Want to set-up a feed. Need advice.  (Read 15588 times)

Offline airraider1

Want to set-up a feed. Need advice.
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
I live about 2 miles from KPTK.(I live on the lake that is in line with rwy27) I want to set up a feed for this Airport. It gets a lot of traffic for private planes on good weather days. I have A J-pole and ordered a BC355C. (I have aor and other handheld scanners and I am a ham with a shack in my yard) Anyway Just want to know the best equipment to get i.e. feed lines band pass filters pre-amps etc. Cost is not that important for the feed lines. But I am not going to buy 4 IC-8500's to feed the audio. It looked like one of the members was usind BC355's for receivers so I bought 1 today to see how it worked. KC8SKX

Offline K5PAT

Re: Want to set-up a feed. Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
The J-Pole and BC-355 should work fine.  Depending on how long your feed line is, you can use RG/58 or RG/8 cable although I prefer LMR 240 for runs up to 50 ft. Try to get your antenna up as high as possible, at least 20-30 feet so you can pick up planes on the ground. Try out the radio alone, since you are only 2 miles from the airport, you may not need a preamp.  If you have FM interference or intermod, you may need an aircraft bandpass filter.  Do a search on this forum for recommended filters.
Good luck and welcome to LiveATC.

Offline airraider1

Re: Want to set-up a feed. Need advice.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
Ok I can get it 30 ft up. I will try it. Without hearing the planes on the ground the feed won't be worth much.