airtraffic

Author Topic: constant Atlantic static?  (Read 10740 times)

Offline united777lover

constant Atlantic static?
« on: October 02, 2004, 10:32:43 PM »
hello, I absolutely love the North atlantic feed. however, in the the that I've had the feed running(nearly a day it seems). I've had maybe 10minutes of actual communications. I am wondering if my connection is bad or something is up with th server.

thanks again for this awesome feed! :D

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 11:48:52 PM »
HF is shortwave, therefore it will produce that static. You may lessen it by doing various things. But I believe you can never take it away. Dave, could probably give you a better explanation.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: constant Atlantic static?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 09:09:05 AM »
Quote from: united777lover
hello, I absolutely love the North atlantic feed. however, in the the that I've had the feed running(nearly a day it seems). I've had maybe 10minutes of actual communications. I am wondering if my connection is bad or something is up with th server.

thanks again for this awesome feed! :D

I am away from the feed for the weekend so there isn't as much frequency hopping as there usually is when I'm around.  I've got it on a fixed frequency (which happens to be NAT Track A, 13306 kHz).  On here you will hear New York Center Oceanic primarily...Gander is on other frequencies.  The HF frequencies in use change over the course of the 24-hour day as the MUF (Maximum Usable Frequency) shifts.  The higher frequencies are generally in use during the day with the lower frequencies (5598,5616, etc.) in use during the night hours.

I am getting a cable that will enable me to remote control the radio when I'm not around.  At times when there is little trans-Atlantic traffic it will be quiet.  As far as the static, while my receiver does have squelch to silence the static, I haven't been able to maintain a good squelch setting that silences the static *and* ensures that listeners can hear both pilots and controllers.  HF single-sideband (SSB) transmissions are difficult to squelch.  So just cope with it.  :-)  Besides, that static is soothing to listen to, don't ya think?

Perhaps some other volunteers can stream some of the other oceanic frequencies.

It is 1300Z Sunday and I am listening briefly...I've already heard two flights check in with position reports in the last 10 minutes.  The oceanic arrivals should be pretty active between now and 2100Z.

-dave

Offline united777lover

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 09:33:59 AM »
thanks again for your hard work. It's very appreciated..

Right now, whiochever feed you have seems to be VERY busy..

thanks again! :D

Offline Jonathan_tcu

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:08:34 AM »
I have seen a program on The Learning Channel that pilots who contact Gander Center via HF may require to 'dial up' and make the connection.  I've heard that too and started to listen away and stuck with Toronto.

Offline Sirclown82

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:39:20 AM »
That's just how HF is. Even on Amateur Radio HF, with all the new filters you get, you can't get rid of static. Daytime is really bad for HF, the best time to listen is right after the sun goes down over the horizon. Thats when the ionsphere is charged the most and you can hear around the world. Other than right after the sun going down, the Worst time to listen is right before the sun comes up. Thats the written rule and i can confirm that from experience.

Figured you might like to know.

Offline arink4

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 07:40:35 PM »
Hey all...i am glad to hear that people actually listen to what i do and are interested... i work at ny arinc and work on the hf's....the best freq's for the north atlantic to hear ny is 10am to3pm 13306 then from 3pm til midnight on 8906 then 5598 over the midnight til the am..it will be getting busier and more congested with the hurricane season and they all appear to be heading right into ny airspace so you will hear alot of deviations and alot of busy freq's
enjoy....any q's feel free to ask

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 07:56:10 PM »
Hey there!

Welcome!  We are very interested in your job; HF communications.  Please feel free to browse this previous topic which had a lot of information in it.  Feel free to comment in this topic if any information is incorrect and any other comments/suggestions!  8)

http://www.liveatc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338