Author Topic: A380 Hard Landing @ Oshkosh  (Read 25291 times)

Offline ect76

• EGPH
A380 Hard Landing @ Oshkosh
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »
There's a great amount of debate going on over at Airliners.net as to whether this A380 landing at Oshkosh is a true hard landing or not.

What do you guys think? Either way, there's an impressive amount of crabbing going on!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:41:01 PM by ect76 »

Offline VTBDflyer

Re: A380 Hard Landing @ Oshkosh
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
I was there for the landing on Tues. There were strong cross winds coming from the west. Runway 36(L) was the only runway that it could use. There was only one turn off that the A380 could take to get to the display area. All of the taxiways past that one were too small, so they would have had to tow him back. Upon review of the landing, he planted it right on the numbers in order to have enough stopping room. It looks worse in the video than it did in person. I'm no pilot, but I'd say for the conditions that day and the fact that he HAD to make that taxiway, it was an okay landing.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:02:32 AM »
Whoever was flying it has SKILL!  Certainly not the greatest of landings, but you can easily tell there was a bad crosswind.  Also, they were landing a massive aircraft on a runway that wasn't exactly designed for the A380 (I was surprised when I heard it would be there).  I'd call it a hard landing, especially for this aircraft; you see the wings flex pretty good and the pilot has to make 2 full rudder deflections in the aircraft since they had so much crab on final.  But a great job bringing that aircraft to a quick stop.

But I like how the AvWeb guys talk about if the aircraft would still be usable at the end of the video!  I think the runway suffered the worst of the punishment!

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
But I like how the AvWeb guys talk about if the aircraft would still be usable at the end of the video!  I think the runway suffered the worst of the punishment!

Agreed - I chuckled at that bit too. Of course it'll be useable...Wasn't that bad!! I wonder if a hard landing report was generated though?

Offline atcman23

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
I don't think we have those here in the States.

Offline ect76

• EGPH
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:31:56 PM »
Many of the Airbii (as I like to call the plural) automatically print a report for the engineers on shutdown of the systems if there has been a hard landing. It's not a country thing - It's (as far as I understand) an Airbus thing. Some interesting information on what is called a Load <15> report is in the investigation text for a landing incident of a Monarch Airlines Airbus A321 (G-MARA) in July 2008.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Airbus%20A321-231,%20G-MARA%2006-09.pdf
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:36:51 PM by ect76 »

Offline joebone1

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 11:16:35 PM »
I was there for the landing on Tues. There were strong cross winds coming from the west. Runway 36(L) was the only runway that it could use. There was only one turn off that the A380 could take to get to the display area. All of the taxiways past that one were too small, so they would have had to tow him back. Upon review of the landing, he planted it right on the numbers in order to have enough stopping room. It looks worse in the video than it did in person. I'm no pilot, but I'd say for the conditions that day and the fact that he HAD to make that taxiway, it was an okay landing.

I agree - he "planted" it on the numbers to make the taxiway - I think with the heavy crosswinds, he may have had to come in a little hotter than if it was calm.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »
Many of the Airbii (as I like to call the plural) automatically print a report for the engineers on shutdown of the systems if there has been a hard landing. It's not a country thing - It's (as far as I understand) an Airbus thing. Some interesting information on what is called a Load <15> report is in the investigation text for a landing incident of a Monarch Airlines Airbus A321 (G-MARA) in July 2008.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/Airbus%20A321-231,%20G-MARA%2006-09.pdf

Ah another Airbus thing... that wouldn't surprise me then.  Probably a good thing.

Offline levi

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 11:38:44 PM »
I was in oshkosh the day it took off (friday) and they backed it all the down the taxiway and onto the runway because if it went forward down the taxiway it wouldn't be able to turn onto the runway. After seeing it up close I agree that they just wanted to get it down the fastest they could.

Offline athaker

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 04:14:55 AM »
Here's another angle on it and it doesn't look as bad.  Certainly not a pretty touchdown, but given the short approach and having to very very quickly judge proper crab angle, this is not a total fail.

My DAL landing today at LAX felt like that A380 looked........ 8-)

Offline Examiner4289

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »
There's a great Article on Examiner.com about it here: http://snipr.com/olvkn

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:19:39 AM »
Nice vids!  8-)

It reminds me of this crosswind landing by a JAL Super Logistics B747 at Kai Tak from 1998:

I too chuckled when the guy said "I think it's still useable"...I've seen aircraft after landing so hard that they blow tires on the main gear! And after a tire change and inspection, the airplane is still very "useable".  :-D

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
Just out of curiosity, did the A380 partake in any air demos whilst it was there? Other than arriving and departing of course ;)