Author Topic: Adding a frequency to CYZF?  (Read 5589 times)

Offline 777lrf

Adding a frequency to CYZF?
« on: July 10, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
Is it possible to add a center frequency to CYZF? The airport is pretty quiet most days, and a lot of Asia-North America traffic goes nearby, would be great to be able to listen to this if possible. Thanks

Offline JetScan1

Re: Adding a frequency to CYZF?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
A dedicated Center feed would be ideal as there can be a lot of traffic on the Center frequencies at times that would block out the airport frequencies. Personally I'm not a fan of trying to scan too many different things when only one radio is available.

If a dedicated radio could ever be obtained there is an Edmonton Center RCAG located at CYZF with 135.80 covering the low sectors and 132.50 covering the high sectors. Both high and low are combined with multiple sectors and frequencies at times so you would get coverage of a very large area.

If it's possible it would be interesting to run a test with just 135.80 and 132.50 on the scanner for a few days to see what the traffic volume is like.  

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »
We will take a look at this.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »
Those Centre freqs are now running as a test...reception seems good.  Next step is to split them off in a day or two, or whenever we can.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »
Those Centre freqs are now running as a test...reception seems good.  Next step is to split them off in a day or two, or whenever we can.

Thanks for doing that Dave.

I had a quick listen off the archives during the overnight shift. Excellent reception of both controllers on 135.80 and 132.50. Unfortunately Edmonton doesnt use frequency cross-coupling in that area so you can't hear the aircraft on the other frequencies being used and with extensive use of CPDLC in the high altitude airspace you don't get a lot of the handoffs. Moderate traffic on the overnight shift, mostly eastbound out of Anchorage and Asia and some southbound from the Middle East to the west coast and a lot of medivac traffic on the low sectors.

Just curious what type of setup that feed is using ? Just being picky but it seems like the beginning of most transmissions are being clipped, you end up missing the company part of the callsign a lot of the time when the controller starts talking. Is that because of the radio being used, or some mode that is set ?

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
It's the radio being used and has to do with AGC or squelch in that base radio....it's not a scanner.  The Centre stuff would be split off onto a scanner, if it splits.  And I did notice the lack of cross-coupling up there.  Better than nothing, though.

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 10:09:05 AM »
Better than nothing, though.

Yeah even without the cross-coupling it's an interesting feed, covers a lot of area. Tower/ground can get busy at times so hopefully you will be able to split off the Center. Thanks again !

Offline JetScan1

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »
even without the cross-coupling

Actually I notice now that they do have cross-coupling capability on both the high and low frequencies. They just seem to use it very sporadically. I wonder if it's a manual controller preference thing or some sort of automatic system function ? 

Having listened to the feed for awhile now the traffic at YZF isn't that busy all the time so it works as it's set up with the addition of the Center frequencies, imo.

Although it would be much better if the Center frequencides could be split off onto a separate feed. I can donate funds to assist in getting this setup - (aka bribe) just name your price if it's an option.