airtraffic

Author Topic: ASA 261  (Read 9675 times)

Offline peterwaradin

ASA 261
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »
Hi,

I am French and I am fascinated by the crashes.
I would like to talk to you about the crash of ASA 261 on January 31st, 2000.
It seems that the recordings of the black box show that some of the passengers, under the leadership of the Pasteur Knight, prayed while being aware that their end was close.
Is it true? Either is it a rumour?

Thank you for your answers.

P.S.:Sorry for my  English but it is not my mother tongue

Offline goowe

• AltonAnderson.com
Re: ASA 261
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »
From what I understand, that was just a rumor that circulated around the internet in the weeks following the crash of Alaska Airlines flight 261.

This website (not sure how credible it is...) has some good arguments proving that it was only a rumor:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blflight261b.htm

Also, here is a link to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB - the United States gov't agency responsible for investigating large accidents like this one)... http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2000/Aka261/default.htm

Hope this helps :)

Offline peterwaradin

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 03:21:41 PM »
Thank you for your help,Goowe.

I am writing a novel based on this crash and I would need a site allowing me to harvest additional information on the crash.
Where could I contact the families of the victims plesase?

Offline goowe

• AltonAnderson.com
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »
Out of curiosity, what are you writing about specifically?

I'm not sure about contacting the families involved with the accident, but there is a link on the above website (http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blflight261b.htm) to a "...complete list of the 88 individuals who died in the crash." That website contains some information about each of the persons on board.

Good luck with your writing.

Offline Squawk 7700

• Squawk 7700 on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 12:12:24 AM »
Those in the San Francisco Bay Area probably have heard of talk radio host Cythia Oti? I was a regular listener to her "financial fitness" show which aired nightly on KSFO 560 AM. It was really a shock to hear she was among the 88 who perished on Alaska Flight 261.

Offline goowe

• AltonAnderson.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:31:08 AM »
It was really a shock to hear she was among the 88 who perished on Alaska Flight 261.

As I'm sure could be said for everyone on board :| These accidents are so tragic, and I remember that this one was no exception! I was living in Southeast Alaska at the time and remember hearing about it because local families were affected.

We also talked about this accident in class recently... it was mentioned that the pilots did a great job trying to control the airplane and troubleshoot the problem until the last seconds of flight.