Author Topic: ATC - hearing only the controller  (Read 6065 times)

Offline plowry

ATC - hearing only the controller
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
I find on some frequencies, for the most part, I hear only the controller, not the aircraft.  It is a one-sided communication.  An example is CYYZ Arrival.  Presumably two frequencies are being used.  I am wondering if there is any way I can overcome this when I encounter it.

Peter

Offline AeroBill

Re: ATC - hearing only the controller
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
Peter,

Just took a quick listen to CYYZ Arrivals and both controller and aircraft can be heard. Could be they were using a frequency
not covered by LiveATC for the arrivals at the time you were listening. If you have a scanner and live close enough to the
airport you could listen to the arrival frequencies shown in LiveATC and see if you hear the aircraft on your scanner. You may
not hear the controller side, all depends on your location. Since you heard the controller side on LiveATC, doesn't seem likely the problem is with your computer.

Bill

Offline JetScan1

Re: ATC - hearing only the controller
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »
An example is CYYZ Arrival.

Was this in the late evening or overnight ? On the midnight shift they combine the arrival and departure positions and put all the aircraft on the departure frequency 128.80 (not covered by that LiveATC feed), but the controllers keep transmitting on the arrivals frequencies.