airtraffic

Author Topic: ATC hiring process?  (Read 32112 times)

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

ATC hiring process?
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
hello everybody,

im new to ATC, and i just want clarification on the actual hiring process from CTI schools.  Currently, i am under the impression that upon graduation from the school, your name gets entered either into as a "direct hire" or you have to wait for the next time they are accepting people at OKC.   My first question is, is that correct?  My second question is, upon graduation and choosing where you would like to work (based on availability), are you highered first by the facility, then sent to OKC to recieve training?  or is there another process used in the hiring process?

If yall can answer these questions, or have any info at all, please feel free to respond!

Thank you!

-NAplaya

Offline NY Z Pilot

Re: ATC hiring process?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
I went to Vaughn college in queens... After you graduate the school sends OKC a letter of recomendation. Then the paper work begins. It was basically all paperwork for about a year. After its all said and done you choose 5 states of where youd like to work. I chose NY NJ NC and I think that was it. Then they send you an offer, for me it was terminal option, NC. I accepted it. Next was the exact facilty, for me RDU. Either before the offers or after, i dont remember, you go to the drug tests, physicals, psychological tests, security clearance etc. After that they call you to schedule a class date in OKC. Go to OKC, pass, then your off to your facility.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
so how long were you in OKC?

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:31:51 PM »
8/14 till 10/04. That was for the tower class, After I get checked out through the tower, I gotta go back for RTF (radar training) which is about a month. Now this is only cause we are an up/down facility. If you go to lets sat JFK, there is no tracon so they would not need to go to RTF. Some facilitys, off the top of my head i know N90 (NY tracon) does their own RTF so they also do not need to go back to OKC. Now if you go enroute, the class is longer...I think 12-13 weeks or somethin like that.

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 05:59:57 PM »
Now if you go enroute, the class is longer...I think 12-13 weeks or somethin like that.

For CTI's, that's true.  For off the street, it's a few weeks longer than that.

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »
ots FTL

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 02:43:44 AM »
Now if you go enroute, the class is longer...I think 12-13 weeks or somethin like that.

For CTI's, that's true.  For off the street, it's a few weeks longer than that.

AT Basics is like another 5 weeks long. Pretty much just NAV stuff.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
ok, lets say an ATC chooses their states for which they work at,  how long does it take for the FAA, to offer a position?   And lets say that person rejects the offer given,  what happens next?

-NAplaya

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:11:08 PM »
FAA's slow on everything. If you get something you dont like, you can decline it and be put back into the hiring pool, but you could be waiting a while till they start the next round of bidding. I forgot how many times you can decline an offer.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
So i was in talkin with my instructor today, and he informed me that the FAA might/is gonna do a new process, where the FAA will post job openings on the web.  Then, ATC's can go online and apply for the positions at or near the locations where they wish to work at.  Can any of yall confirm this process?

-NAplaya

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 03:54:55 PM »
you can go on the FAA website right now, and you can see where they need controllers... i dont have the exact link but ive been to it. Where are you looking to go anyway?

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »
http://jobs.faa.gov/Allfaajobs.htm - Series 2152 - The ones that say "All Sources" are the Off The Street.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »
im kinda lookin to go south, like in florida.   my plan is of course to go to a lower level facilty, get most to all my training done, then build up to a higher level facilty.    like i got family in jacksonville, so i might go there first, its a level 9 facilty,  then maybe transfer to like a tampa or miami or something.  thats kinda where im thinkin at.   u got any advice? lol

-NAplaya

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
Im at a level 9 right now...its goin very well so far. I have heard that a level 9 is perfect to start out at, and I also heard that a 7 is perfect to start at so I dont know.

Offline mk

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 11:05:19 PM »
go for the 12 if you got it in you...if you can control then you've got no worries.  controllers who have been in the system for years have told me it took them forever to get outta lower levels and up to the top.  AND...large facilities are needing a lot of staffing.  be smart and get the most money, experience and get the retirement account growing!!!  i've been at PCT for just over a year and i'll be CPC by end of summer...$$$ and it's never slow and boring

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »
so what ur saying is to pass up a lower level facility and go straight to the top and get training there?

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 04:48:44 PM »
i think thats what hes saying... shoot for  atlanta center see how you do there. :roll:

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »
i think thats what hes saying... shoot for  atlanta center see how you do there. :roll:

Actually I was just reading something about someone that is close to checking out - just 2 years after starting. And last time I checked there is no such thing as an cake walk Area at ZTL.

Offline NWA ARJ

• Private Pilot, Control Tower Operator
    • UND Air Traffic Control
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »
I would say go for the a level 7 or 8. Thats where the most training happens. I am at a level 6 and its too slow most days, most of my class mates that are at 7's and 8's are getting craploads of training. Get checked out there and then go to a 10 or 11.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 01:02:44 AM »
Thanks NWA,

what facility are you at?

Offline mk

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 05:51:40 PM »
i'm D2 at PCT, i've been on the floor now for 11 months, i'll be CPC by the end of summer maybe sooner.  i've checked out on feeder and finals at bwi and now working on a pretty tough departure sector.  there is no shortage of training at upper level facilities.  i've had friends go to N90 (new york tracon) and A80 (ATL Tracon) and their progress seems to match with PCT's.  most upper level facs have an easier area that management still needs to staff.  pct will take some newbies who can't quite get up to speed on the big/fast/busy areas and send them to the less busy area.  you just have to make it out of ETGs (sim training lab).  but, some plp would rather work slower traffic first...everyone is different.  me, i enjoy an hour of a$$ whoopin daily.

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »
PCT is potamac app? if so i got a buddy there.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
ya i agree with you.  personally, i wouldnt mind gettin ripped a new one from a mentor everyday for awhile, b/c id know that id be gettin good training from someone who knows their stuff.    believe me i get reamed everyday from my older brother whos a commercial pilot, who likes to make me hate my life when i accidently get something wrong, as im earning my private license.  lol

im just stuck on the point where i want to work at a big dog facility, and i wouldnt mind just be thrown into the heat of it and seeing how i do.  however, i also kinda want to go to a smaller facility, learn the basics, build up a core/routine of how to do things, get checked out and then move on to a higher facility with already a little knowledge of what to expect and how to handle certain situations.

hope that makes sense! lol

-NAplaya

Offline NY Z Pilot

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »
well if you do so, best of luck. Last thing you want is to go to a level 12 then wash out, youll be kicking yourself in the ass. I know people that first facility was LAX, EWR, JFK, N90 and ATL center, and so far so good...I also know 1 person from ATL center and 1 from JAX center that washed out.

Offline NAplaya16-ATC

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
Thanks NYZ