Author Topic: ATC on Commercial Flights  (Read 18591 times)

Offline mhorvath

ATC on Commercial Flights
« on: May 29, 2005, 05:21:24 PM »
Is anyone still allowing passengers to listen in while in flight?  I think United was the last that I knew of that had this.  Are there any others left out there?

Offline JetBlue

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »
I asked a flight attendant on Jet Blue, and she said they eventually will have it on their flights. Delta, last I flew, did it also.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 05:45:40 PM »
Wait DAL had ATC and JBU is soon too?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 07:04:21 PM »
Quote from: PHL_Approach
Wait DAL had ATC and JBU is soon too?

Yup  :D

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 01:46:05 AM »
That is great F-ing NEWS!!!  :shock: Now let's see we need USA, AAL, NWA, SWA and everyone else!!!

Offline JetBlue

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 07:31:55 AM »
JetBlue has toys on the aircraft, mainly Satellite TV, so they were right in their assumption most people would rather watch TV than listen to the pilots' communications, but apparently I wasn't the only one who had asked...I had also written to JetBlue and gotten the same response, that they will soon have the ATC channel on their audio system.

There's more aviation enthusiasts than they realized!  :D

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 08:09:03 AM »
Quote from: JetBlue
JetBlue has toys on the aircraft, mainly Satellite TV, so they were right in their assumption most people would rather watch TV than listen to the pilots' communications, but apparently I wasn't the only one who had asked...I had also written to JetBlue and gotten the same response, that they will soon have the ATC channel on their audio system.

There's more aviation enthusiasts than they realized!  :D

To bad you can't tune to the ATC channel and get full video of the ground facilities  :D  Can you imagine being able to look into the Tower, TRACON, and ARTCC??? HEHE

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 11:04:25 AM »
You're sure Delta had ATC in flight?  I was under the impression UA's channel 9 was the only one of its kind.

Offline JetBlue

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 05:00:40 PM »
I haven't flown Delta in a couple of years, but I remember listening when I flew back from Florida on Song, PBI to LGA.

Offline Hopkins

Re: ATC on flights
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 05:14:33 PM »
None of the Delta flights I've been on recently have had such a feature -- it wasn't mentioned in the magazine either.  I also believe it is a United-only feature (and even then, at the pilot's discretion).

I have never flown on the Song-branded Delta flights though, so it's possible that they have it on them.

In the future, when Internet access is available on flights for a reasonable price (or free), you'll be able to listen to your communications by just tuning into the various feeds on liveatc.net as you fly!  :)

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 06:25:49 PM »
Quote from: Hopkins
None of the Delta flights I've been on recently have had such a feature -- it wasn't mentioned in the magazine either.  I also believe it is a United-only feature (and even then, at the pilot's discretion).

I have never flown on the Song-branded Delta flights though, so it's possible that they have it on them.

In the future, when Internet access is available on flights for a reasonable price (or free), you'll be able to listen to your communications by just tuning into the various feeds on liveatc.net as you fly!  :)

What a/c have you flown on Delta?  Some a/c are not capable or is not worth the money to install the system.

Offline Hopkins

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »
The MD-88 and the 738

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 09:09:14 PM »
I have never heard of Delta having it, only United. Im starting to doubt DAL having it. Jason, when an airline has it, which at this time is only UAL. They have it on all a/c.

Offline Hopkins

Re: Live ATC
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 10:43:07 PM »
I can imagine that if an airline wanted to add it to their fleet, they would just phase it in with the newer aircraft (e.g. 738's, for example), in which case the entire fleet wouldn't have it.  I just haven't ever seen it on Delta aircraft -- though I've never flown on Song, as I said.

Does Song only fly 752s?  I don't think Delta has taken delivery of any new 752s lately (and certainly won't anymore! :) )

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 06:20:02 AM »
Song has 752's only, no new one's. But I think they lease a few more every once in a while.

Offline AmericaWestCMH

• http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/kcmh2.m3u
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 10:36:56 AM »
Delta.com doesn't say anything about it.

Offline antovpilot

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 03:57:11 AM »
I Fly United out of Chicago to London quite a bit and I know for a fact that their 777's all have atc. But it is only the current freq the the plane is tuned too.  Real busy on takeoff and landings but a touch boring over the ocean.

Offline epicure3

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 05:29:15 PM »
I remember the days when American had the live shot from the cockpit of take off. I used to ride the DC-10s and see it all the time. That was about 20 years ago, though.

Offline Swiss_flight

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 07:46:17 AM »
Delta does not have a "channel 9" feature on any of our aircraft. United is currently the only, as far as i know, airline to do so, although there is talk of Frontier and Jet Blue installing, as i believe someone already said, this feature.

Isaac

Offline iceman

Re: ATC on Commercial Flights
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 08:39:15 AM »
Quote from: mhorvath
Is anyone still allowing passengers to listen in while in flight?  I think United was the last that I knew of that had this.  Are there any others left out there?

I know for sure that American (American Eagle) and UA have this feature. They are the only 2 civilian/domestic airlines I have flow in a long time besides the military and there you can listen as well if the pilot is a nice guy, hell you can even fly in the cockpit if you choose to! Haaaaaa the good ole days. lol